993 Forum 1995-1998

New Teenage Driver and the 993

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 01:04 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My insur. co. said I had to have my wife on my 993's policy too, even though she can't drive manual and my motorcycle blocks the car into the garage. She couldn't move either one if her life depended on it.

If I had teenagers in the house, I'd simply remove the DME relay anytime I left the car home when the kids were there and I was away. There are all kinds of ways to disable these cars that no teeanger would be able to defeat without way more effort than they'd put into it.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:24 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Joel, Don't drive the Porsche!
Old 11-14-2007, 01:32 PM
bluejam
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This makes no sense. How 'bout just stashing the keys? Or keeping them with you, when away? I'll have to call my insurance co(Amica) and find out their policy on this matter. My son will be driving very soon! NOT the 993!...yet.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:35 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha, by the time I bought the Porsche, my girls were excluded by State Farm from my policy because of their records. Problem solved! Teenage girls are statistically as big a driving disaster as teenage boys. Kids will be kids and nobody knows that better than insurance companies.

If your Porsche keys are anywhere that your kids can get to them, you have problems that can't be solved here.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:48 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with State Farm and they didn't make me list my (now) 18yo on my Porsche. He's listed on only one vehicle.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:15 PM
bill d cat
Feral Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by pegasis0066

Do any of you with teenage drivers have this problem with your p-car?

Rob
Fortunately, mine isn't a teenager any more!

Absent their "own" car, our insurance company matches the oldest car in the fleet to the youngest driver. In our case that was the 944 stepstool. I can prove with all sorts of charts and figures that Porsches are among the safest cars in the world but insurance companies completely lose control of most of their GI sphincters when they see the words "Porsche" and "teenager" on the same policy. Even if it has about 144 HP which is what I think the 944 has. And mom's minivan has 244HP. But I digress.

So we "assigned" her a big, nasty old Mercury Grand Marquis wagon. We live at the shore, so a "woody" is strangely socially acceptable, even if the "wood" is a plastic decal. No collision insurance, just liability. This reduced the insurance risk on all the other cars. If you ignore the $1/mile cost of repairing that beast, it even made economic sense.

Anyway, now she's over 21, graduated from college, looking at grad schools and so I'm free to buy a 993 without needing a mortgage to cover the insurance.

Suggest start looking for a 240 Volvo. The insurance companies love 'em!
Old 11-14-2007, 02:22 PM
bill d cat
Feral Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 107 Posts

BTW, my daughter always wanted to drive a Porsche about as much as she wanted to eat a hamburger, and she's a vegetarian. It all depends on the kid.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:23 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 697 Likes on 387 Posts

The problem seems to be that our insurance company would let us assign a car to the teenager.. and the wife doesn't want to change providers.

Just this morning she laid a guilt trip on me by saying I need to make a family decision and sell the 993. Hell, I wanted to get a Ferrari in a year or so, but now find myself fighting to keep what I have. Didn't see this coming!

I've got some work ahead of me.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:26 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been with Allstate for 18 years and when I added the 993 to my list of cars I was not required to put my daughter on as a driver of the 993. I can say that when she was between the age of 16-18 and living at home, my 993 keys were locked up in the handgun safe when we were not home and for obvious reasons, only my wife & I knew the combo.

She never took my 993 but once took my F-150 without permission and went to the beach with a bunch of friends. I impressed on her that when I got home from work I saw the truck was gone and almost made a theft report to SDPD which might have led to a felony traffic stop(guns & such) and a lot of hassle for all involved. She never did it again!

Once she reached 18 we gave her a fine Buick century (my grandmother's old car) and helped her get her own insurance. While she was on our policy she only cost us about $50.00 per mo extra for the truck, Buick & Mercedes so it was not a big financial deal.

Good luck....................ZP44
Old 11-14-2007, 02:32 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 903 Likes on 543 Posts

I just sold the yellow family MB 300TD wagon with 254K miles on it. It survived 3 teenagers. Each said they would be embarrassed for their friends to see them driving it. I said they could walk if they wanted. End of discussion.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:40 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bill d cat
Suggest start looking for a 240 Volvo. The insurance companies love 'em!
Did that! And they work just as advertised, both kids had collisions (more than one), were unscathed and are now healthy college and grad students. And one is still a Volvo driver (like me) - they sorta get into your blood.

Yes, insurance companies are concerned about their insured, but they're more worried about the damage your kid can do with any rolling 3000-lb. piece of steel -
and the resulting liability lawsuits.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:57 PM
MDamen
Pro

This policy varies from state to state and company to compnay. I'm with USAA and they allowed me to add my teenagers to the car of my choice, so I chose the car with the lowest premiums. My insurance still covers every driver for whatever vehicle they drive. When my first kid was coming up to driving age, I asked around and found that some companies automaticaly added them to the most expensive vehicle. I also did not have to add them to my insurance while they were driving under their permit. They weren't official drivers until they got their license. This saved many months of that big insurance bump. USAA has been a very good company for me.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:58 PM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
I just sold the yellow family MB 300TD wagon with 254K miles on it. It survived 3 teenagers. Each said they would be embarrassed for their friends to see them driving it. I said they could walk if they wanted. End of discussion.
LOL!
My first car was a 1982 300D that was inexplicably slower than any other 300D (best friend had the same car). The complaint I had was not being able to cross busy intersections (with no traffic light) in my neighborhood without waiting 15-20 minutes.

I did a bunch of walking around to prove a point until my dad finally drove the thing and realized there was something wrong.

To stay on topic. The insurance company threatened to drop my coverage completely when asked about adding a 993 to the family plan (I was 20 at the time). Needless to say we found a new provider.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:24 PM
unclespeed
Rennlist Member

Rob - just wanted to send my appreciation of you sporting the Jungle look on there! I'll keep an eye out for your C4S in Cincy!
Old 11-14-2007, 04:25 PM
Derek_C
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My theory is that if a teenager loves the vehicle they are driving than it is the wrong vehicle for them.

Quick Reply: New Teenage Driver and the 993