Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advise on maintaining 993 value.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 02:06 PM
bill930p
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Advise on maintaining 993 value.

I have a 95 993 cab w/ low miles ( 39k). I really like the car, however, I know that this is not the one I'm ultimately going to keep. I bought the car a few months ago. I wasn't looking for a Cab. However, I bought it because it was extremely clean , owned by a PCA member, serviced by a well respected shop in the area, and it was local.

After owning the car for a few months now it has been better then expected and I'm extremely glad I bought it. I'd been away from Porsches for a few years, but am glad to be back.

As I mentioned earlier, even though I like the car, it is not the one I will ultimately keep. I think I would be happier w/ a Turbo coupe.

So here's the question. I have a set of 18" Gamballa wheels laying around. I really want to put them on. However, if I bolt them on I would have to lower the car a bit to make it look right. I also have a friend who has a B&B exhaust he would sell me cheap. I would definately enjoy the car more with these mods.

1) Should I mod a low mile car that I know I am ultimately going to sell???

2) How will these changes effect the value of the car?

Any advise would be appreciated.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:57 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Maybe someone thinks differently, but I have a hard time imagining that a reasonable lowering to ROW height with OE or Bilstein components would hurt the value of even the lowest mileage car. Save your stock parts just in case, of course.

The exhaust is 100% reversible. Just save your stock exhaust and bolt it back on before sale.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:08 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Porsches, unlike most cars, have two or more followings, one is the guys who don't care about mod's but will not allow an inflated selling price for those mods (you eat the mod $$'s at the time of sale).

The second are the purists that want everything original and never want anything done to the car that's not factory. Over the years I have seen that these original cars with lower milage command the highest prices in the market.

The third are the dumbasses that only want the marque and have no idea what they are buying.

The only other way to keep the value up beside stopping time itself, is over maintain and drive the car very little, but in my mind, that defeats the reason Porsche built the 993 in the first place.

ZP44
Old 11-13-2007, 05:33 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lowering to ROW height is a plus for all but the purists, and the other mods are easily reversible, so I wouldn't hesitate. Then again, I'm a firm believer that it's really not yours until you've modified it.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:45 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that generally a bone stock car retains its value the best.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:56 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The key word in this excercise is "Reversible" which usually means no drilling and or cutting. Retain all parts replaced, maintain and enjoy the car.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:45 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,164 Likes on 1,830 Posts

Bill welcome to RL and nice stable.

Firstly, a few points about 993s. 39k mi is not considered low for 993s. You'd have to be sub 25k mi for it to be considered truly low mile. Also, there's less demand for cabs and as such, they command lower values, even with low miles. My first 993 was a 95 cab that I bought with 46k mi and sold it a year later with 52k mi so I have a good sense of what you own.

Getting to your question, the best way to maintain the value on a 993 is to not drive it or mod it. Obviously that's not very fun so you may want to approach it like any other depreciating asset and enjoy it while you own it. It will maintain it's value much better than any other car and if you paid fair market value or less, you'll probably get most of your money back.

As for mods, mufflers, wheels and suspension are easily reversible so I wouldn't hessitate to mod. Do a search and you'll find that a suspension upgrade is the best bang for your buck mod as it will transform your car. Look up Bilstein HD/RoW M030 and PSS9. Keep all the OE parts and put the car back to stock when you're ready to sell. If you buy another 993, you can hit the ground running on the slippery slope.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:07 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Louis J.
Bill welcome to RL and nice stable.

Also, there's less demand for cabs and as such, they command lower values, even with low miles.
Guess you dont live down south or out west.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:28 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stay away from Bucks in rut.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:31 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Thaddeus
Unless your hunting
Old 11-13-2007, 07:41 PM
bill d cat
Feral Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by jimq
It's been a while since I took Geography, but I think they have "permafrost" and people live in igloos there.

At least in New Jersey, 993 cabriolet prices seem to be higher than coupes. Targas are in between.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:45 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Thaddeus
Looks like he got his sack hair caught on your moon roof!!

Sure that wasnt a bull who saw red and charged?
Old 11-13-2007, 08:45 PM
drummin4fun
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No doubt. Price is definitely connected to region... I believe that a car with 39k in So Cal is going to be considered more of a 'low mile' car than the same car in say, Montana! You gotta consider how many months of the year the car can be driven... just as much as mods, maintenance, etc.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:10 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,164 Likes on 1,830 Posts

Originally Posted by bill d cat
It's been a while since I took Geography, but I think they have "permafrost" and people live in igloos there.

At least in New Jersey, 993 cabriolet prices seem to be higher than coupes. Targas are in between.
You guys are kidding right? Vancouver is as far West as you can get in Canada and the weather is milder here than in NJ. Virtually no snow here. Can you say that about NJ?

It doesn't matter where you live, on average, the value of cabs is lower than coupes. I have nothing against cabs. I've owned two 911s cabs and a targa, not to mention a boxster, M3 cab, clk cab and SL500. It doesn't change the fact that there are far more people who prefer coupes to cabs. CA is the soutwest extreme and the best example of how much lower prices are and how many more cabs are found for sale than coupes.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:49 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find the best value in maintaining a 993 is to do it yourself (DIY). Good luck!

Quick Reply: Advise on maintaining 993 value.