993 Forum 1995-1998

993 & Bishoff to Gillet Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 09:22 PM
quasr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 993 & Bishoff to Gillet Mufflers

I am stoked after my one day at Rennsport Reunion III. I guess one day is better than none. Lots of great people and the track was open for all groups of cars. I have Bishoff mufflers on my 993 and just purchased Gillet Motorsound mufflers. I currently have Gillet Motorsound tips that fit with the existing donuts. What will I need to marry the Gillet Motorsound mufflers with the exhaust pipes further back? Another set of donuts perhaps? Thanks all.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:29 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no the gillets should have the "doughnut" built in to the muffler pipe on th cat side.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:45 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 993inNC
no the gillets should have the "doughnut" built in to the muffler pipe on th cat side.
Not correct. Gillets only have the built in doughnut on the "tip" side. On the "cat" side, they are the same as Bischoffs, so they will bolt on the same way.
Attached Images   
Old 11-04-2007, 09:47 PM
993inNC
Race Car

You know, you're right, its the cat that has the doughnut built in.......sorry quasr, my bad
Geez, you think I'd know
Old 11-04-2007, 09:54 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993inNC
You know, you're right, its the cat that has the doughnut built in.......sorry quasr, my bad
Geez, you think I'd know
Sorry Chris, actually that's not right , either. The cat side uses a removable doughnut, on both brands.It's the tip side that's different.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:07 PM
993inNC
Race Car

no, thats not right, I've seen some real muts that Porsche put out on the late cars. One was really weird and was a complete mix of parts
Maybe it was me building all my pipes with the doughnut built in that has me somewhat confused it has been a LONG w/e though and I'm tired.......no excuse I know

Okay I'll stop now

disclosure........LISTEN TO NOTHING I'VE SAID QUASR.

Good night!
Old 11-04-2007, 10:12 PM
quasr
Racer

Default Parts Needed?

Thanks guys. I guess I could just take my mufflers off and see what is there. It just means having to order some donuts or not.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:13 PM
quasr
Racer

Default Motorsounds

By the way Darin. When I find the Motorsounds are not loud enough, I will be knocking at your door. Thanks.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:13 AM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FisterD
Not correct. Gillets only have the built in doughnut on the "tip" side. On the "cat" side, they are the same as Bischoffs, so they will bolt on the same way.
So just to summarize, you can swap Bischoff's and Gillet's freely on the cat side (in other words, the cat connections are the same). The only compatability issue may be with the tips, correct????
Old 11-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Originally Posted by JasonF
So just to summarize, you can swap Bischoff's and Gillet's freely on the cat side (in other words, the cat connections are the same). The only compatability issue may be with the tips, correct????
My car is a 95' and the cat is Bischoff-only. It has donuts just like my mufflers. You could try to plug your Gillette mufflers into it, but you may have a problem with clamping it up???

Maybe you should post a photo of your Gillette mufflers - easy to assess the issue then. But if your Gillette mufflers Bischoff style cat inlets, you should be good to go for hooking them up to your Bischoff cat.

Last edited by Marlon; 11-05-2007 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:41 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 140 Posts

Those B's are sooooo shiny!!!!
Old 11-05-2007, 01:18 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marlon
My car is a 95' and the cat is Bischoff-only. It has donuts just like my mufflers. You could try to plug your Gillette mufflers into it, but you may have a problem with clamping it up???

Maybe you should post a photo of your Gillette mufflers - easy to assess the issue then. But if your Gillette mufflers Bischoff style cat inlets, you should be good to go for hooking them up to your Bischoff cat.
Marlon,
Gillet and Bischoff mufflers mount to the cat the same way...........They both use the doughnut gasket on the CAT side. On the exhaust tip side, Bischoffs use the same doughnuts, but Gillets have the doughnuts built-in. Pretty simple. Look at the pics I posted, the circled part is the "tip" side. The other side (not circled) is the "cat side".
Cat side=same,
Tip side, Bischoff=needs doughnut, Gillet=doughnut built- in.
Switching from Bischoff muffler to Gillet=no doughnut needed on TIP side.
Switching from Gillet to Bischoff=need to buy doughnuts for TIP side.
The following users liked this post:
Paolo1 (09-11-2022)
Old 11-05-2007, 05:43 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Originally Posted by FisterD
Marlon,
Gillet and Bischoff mufflers mount to the cat the same way...........They both use the doughnut gasket on the CAT side. On the exhaust tip side, Bischoffs use the same doughnuts, but Gillets have the doughnuts built-in. Pretty simple. Look at the pics I posted, the circled part is the "tip" side. The other side (not circled) is the "cat side".
Cat side=same,
Tip side, Bischoff=needs doughnut, Gillet=doughnut built- in.
Switching from Bischoff muffler to Gillet=no doughnut needed on TIP side.
Switching from Gillet to Bischoff=need to buy doughnuts for TIP side.
Cool - I was slowly coming to that realization... Do both systems use the same 'clamp'???
Old 11-05-2007, 05:53 PM
Black993
Drifting

Kinda funny, i was just thinking about how badly I wanted to do exhaust after being at Rennsport all weekend! My car was not nearly loud enough going through the tunnels.

I'd say just skip the motorsound and go loud!
Old 11-05-2007, 06:58 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 369 Posts

Bischof on left Gillette on right

Doughnuts used by Bischof, discard if using Gilette because Gillettes have them intgral to the pipe but only on the outlets

The head connections are the same on all

the header/cat connection is different. Gillette cat(or cat bypass) must be used w/ Gillette headers, Bischof cat(or cat bypass) must be used w/ Biscoh headers.

The Mufflers and tips mat be used interchangeably.

Quick Reply: 993 & Bishoff to Gillet Mufflers