Rennlist Member
Veteran: Navy

It could have been worse.

http://www.charlotte.com/breaking_ne...ry/328099.html
Old 10-31-2007 | 11:27 AM
alalrivera
Intermediate

Hi, Lawenforcement guy here!

Did the trooper have a radar or laser? Was he on the move when he clocked you or was he stopped?
Old 10-31-2007 | 12:31 PM
DFC4S
Racer

Originally Posted by alalrivera
Hi, Lawenforcement guy here!

Did the trooper have a radar or laser? Was he on the move when he clocked you or was he stopped?
He was on the the move, apparently following behind me in traffic for some time. The ticket says SMD. Not sure what this is. Thanks.
Old 10-31-2007 | 12:42 PM
GMS
Pro

Try www.mucklestone.com to look after you. She is an excellent traffic ticket lawyer.
Old 10-31-2007 | 01:08 PM
slider172
Scared to Look
Rennlist Member

good that you did not admit to anything. BUT You should not have challenged him to be in court.
You showed your hand when you told him you were taking notes. He will be ready .
Old 10-31-2007 | 01:16 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Racial profiling . Gimme a break. You were doing 15 over, and you think he pulled you over because of the color of your skin?

As for "is this your car," so what? I've been asked that, too.

And how are you going to fight it? "Yeah, I was doing 65. You got a problem with that? I'm [black/yellow/brown/whatever]. I should be allowed to drive any damned speed I want!"
Old 10-31-2007 | 01:17 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

+1 for Jeanne Mucklestone, what you pay her to have your ticket dismissed saves in insurance premiums.
Old 10-31-2007 | 09:31 PM
DFC4S
Racer

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
+1 for Jeanne Mucklestone, what you pay her to have your ticket dismissed saves in insurance premiums.
Ironically a collegue told me to call John Mucklestone and this will all go away. I presume they are related. Thanks.

brucec59, sounds like you know me, but you don't, thanks for your ignorant input.
Old 10-31-2007 | 09:47 PM
C4S_fan
Burning Brakes

Derek.. sorry to hear that you got this ticket. That sucks!

I'd recommend Jeannie as well (her dad is John). She's been succesful for me once too (65 in a 60.. no joke). Usually the charge is $350, but well worth it given the potential increase in insurance premiums.

Now, *obviously* a man of color shouldn't be driving around in a Porsche, Land Cruiser or BMW... I mean, you're clearly asking for it!! ... (this is a sarcastic remark for those people with no sense of humor/intelligence)

Just remember that a lot of these guys don't have much to do (especially in Kirkland/Bellevue/Redmond) except hassle people.
Old 10-31-2007 | 10:02 PM
lucycan
Three Wheelin'

This is a thread I expect to see over on the Honda Civic forum. Come on! Own up, step up, and pay the ticket.

Its clear that you were speeding and are just upset you got caught.

It would be a REAL shame if that same state trooper was no where to be found when your car broke down, someone was breaking into your house, etc. You only appreciate them when you need them. Otherwise they are just pigs.
Old 10-31-2007 | 11:01 PM
DFC4S
Racer

You folks telling me to "own up to speeding" are probably basing your opinion on your own experience and situations (I'm guessing). It is my opinion that if you have never been in a situation like mine or in my shoes, you will not understand. I respect that. We are different.

Now, I admit I do go over the speed limit (very seldomly); especially when in my C4S. But I was not in this case on my way home from work in my sedan.

I wouldn't have posted this situation here if I was in fact speeding.

Situations like this are real and wanted to share this situation on the board so I appreciate everyone's input.
Old 10-31-2007 | 11:39 PM
AX993
Pro

Derek, as someone has already said, I can't speak to your particular case, but as someone who has dealt with law enforcement as a part of my job for the last 27 years, I have to tell you that there are some law enforcement folks who definitely have an attitude problem. Thankfully, not most of them. It seems to usually be a rookie, as most of the older ones have relaxed some and have gained more insight. But a very few never get the chip off their shoulder or they got into law enforcement because they enjoy the power of the uniform, not service to their fellow citizens.

If it makes you feel any better, the last ticket I got was from a state trooper who outright lied about me speeding (he was pulling over two cars at a time. I went to drivers school) and the last time I was pulled over but let go was for fog lights that had a bluish lense on them (I was using them as safety/daytime driving lights. He, another state trooper, said it was against the law, because it looked like I could be impersonating a Law Enforcement vehicle. I was in an old Mazda pick-up) but after lecturing me for a good 20 minutes he let me go after I turned them off. Both of these troopers were Black and I'm not.

On the job I usually have had problems with White power-abuser types.

If you're still angry I would go with the lawyer others have mentioned. If you have gotten over it by now, I would try for driving school if it is offered .

Either way, Good Luck !
Glenn

Last edited by AX993; 11-01-2007 at 12:00 AM.
Old 11-01-2007 | 02:05 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Actually, this is a good reminder for us all to watch the speeds out there. It's too easy to let it creep up and then we have to face the 'law.' I was fortunate to do a European Delivery last summer so I got the really FAST stuff out of my system. Otherwise I would be tempted to 'see what she'll do.'
Old 11-01-2007 | 02:26 AM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fialho
Groovzilla; thanks. This guy was a WA State Trooper. The ticket was for $175 so please don't worry about it. Your time is not worth this.

I'm just going to give the justice system a go and see how I make out with the good advice and insight here -- so I appreciate everyone's response.
I'm 8-0 in California, but 1-2 in WA. If you plan to fight it, the defects have got to be pretty glaring, otherwise hire Jeannie (I'm sure that's who the F-car guys use, MC riders use her A LOT too.. talk about being profiled).

Personally.. I've been cut some big breaks by the WSP but honestly I've also seen their moronic tactics in action. Now with the night time FLIR patrols... I'm about done with this joint. Speed enforcement in this state IS one of the state's major sources of increasing revenues. For them, it's a business and right now business is VERY good for them.

Good luck with it, but having fought 3 tickets (2 of which were so bogus I laughed at one of the cops, and then was so flabbergasted by a judge... oh.. well.. if you want the horror stories I'll post them. In short.. if you want to fight it in WA, hire a lawyer. They are about $350 and the money you spend on that will be a hell of a lot less than the insurance bump. Plus with Jeannie.. she's got it down so pat you mail the ticket and a check and about 30 days later you get a notice that it was dismissed.
Old 11-01-2007 | 02:29 AM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fialho
He was on the the move, apparently following behind me in traffic for some time. The ticket says SMD. Not sure what this is. Thanks.
SMD means Speed Measurement Device. More than likely Ka radar of the MPH Bee variety. They love to run that ****.

As noted, in this state you CAN request a deferral Often it does not require school, sometimes it does. Deferral can be good, it's like probation - if you get popped again you get BOTH points.. if you stay clean you get none. Some courts have a poster outside the courtroom telling you their deferral policy. Others like the Kangaroo Kourt in Montessano, WA only hand it out if you ask using the correct known-only-to-the-attorneys codeword. (seriously).

Quick Reply: First speeding ticket in 20 years