Sponsored by:

3.8 Kit?'s

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 11:59 AM
CDILL
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 3.8 Kit?'s

I am wondering if anyone on the board has converted their car to a 3.8 liter. I have been toying with the idea and was wondering what kit people have been using and what their experiences have been as far as every day driving, hp/torque gains, reliability, other componets would be recommended to swap out while doing the conversion to a completely stock car, and of course cost.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:21 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Interesting info here: http://instant-g.com/Products/36Conversion/38.html
Old 10-30-2007, 12:24 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CDILL
I am wondering if anyone on the board has converted their car to a 3.8 liter. I have been toying with the idea and was wondering what kit people have been using and what their experiences have been as far as every day driving, hp/torque gains, reliability, other componets would be recommended to swap out while doing the conversion to a completely stock car, and of course cost.
http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx/p93027.jpg

its about 16k!!.........not worth it at all.
you best bang, would be to regear your transmission. its "like" adding 40 hp
Old 10-30-2007, 12:43 PM
CDILL
Racer

Originally Posted by RallyJon
Originally Posted by Phil
http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx/p93027.jpg

its about 16k!!.........not worth it at all.
you best bang, would be to regear your transmission. its "like" adding 40 hp

I had thought that I saw the kit somewhere for about $5k one time but that was obvisouly a mistake, and at $16k I agree that is probably money not well spent.

What is this gear ratio change you speak of? And where do I get the parts?
Old 10-30-2007, 12:46 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CDILL
I had thought that I saw the kit somewhere for about $5k one time but that was obvisouly a mistake, and at $16k I agree that is probably money not well spent.

What is this gear ratio change you speak of? And where do I get the parts?

you can go mild to wild. Do a search, many others have been down the this road. My gearbox was on the wild side, and When I sold my car, I sent all the paperwork about ratios etc.. to the new owner.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:59 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

There are many ways to do a 3.8 conversion,...

IMHO, the factory RS engine kit is really cost prohibitive for the benefits gained. We've done these several ways and dyno'ed all of them to compare the results. If one is predisposed to do this, the biggest gains come from the displacement increase, RS cams, and RS intake valves. Of course, the software must be upgraded to suit and we do that locally, as well.

I won't argue the cost-to-benefit ratio but if one is faced with rebuilding their engine, this is a logical discussion to have in the pursuit of maximum streetable (and smog-compliant) performance.

Of course, I would strongly recommend other powertrain changes before considering this one and those include:

1) Close-ratio gears (G50-31 or -33).

2) RS lightweight flywheel & matching clutch kit.

3) Good performance software.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:40 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 579 Likes on 398 Posts

Ignoring the cost issue there are several ways to go, I did mine w/ Mahle RSR 102mm p/c, RS cams, valves and a custom chip. It's a very satiusfying package. Nine meister has a very attractive alternative package which can be configured a number of different ways.

The hp increase isn't what is significant, the across the board torque increase is.

Good advice about the trans. I purchased a g50/30 Cup trans, it is somewhat racier than a g50/31,32,33 RS trans or the RoW g50/21. Any of them would be a very desireable upgrade, unless you want to race in which case it'll bump you a class

as Steve mentioned the lwf/RS clutch package is a no brainer

I would also want a solid supension, say Bilstein hd w/ RoW M030 springs at a minimum.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:58 PM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

On the gear ratio changes, you can call power haus II and have them put what ever you want together. Tell'm what you want for max speed, your rpm limit, and they can space them out. I'm not sure of the cost of just buying a -31 or 33 trans, but the gears will run you about $700-$800 each. you may be able to work it to re-use some of current ones also...
Old 10-30-2007, 05:06 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JoeMag
On the gear ratio changes, you can call power haus II and have them put what ever you want together. Tell'm what you want for max speed, your rpm limit, and they can space them out. I'm not sure of the cost of just buying a -31 or 33 trans, but the gears will run you about $700-$800 each. you may be able to work it to re-use some of current ones also...
the nice thing about buying a motorsports box like /30, /31, /32 or /33
is that they come w/ the very nice motorsports lsd and nice internal upgrades like steel syncros, the /30 and /32 are best and most expensive in this regard.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:12 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Ignoring the cost issue there are several ways to go, I did mine w/ Mahle RSR 102mm p/c, RS cams, valves and a custom chip. It's a very satiusfying package. Nine meister has a very attractive alternative package which can be configured a number of different ways.

The hp increase isn't what is significant, the across the board torque increase is.

Good advice about the trans. I purchased a g50/30 Cup trans, it is somewhat racier than a g50/31,32,33 RS trans or the RoW g50/21. Any of them would be a very desireable upgrade, unless you want to race in which case it'll bump you a class

as Steve mentioned the lwf/RS clutch package is a no brainer

I would also want a solid supension, say Bilstein hd w/ RoW M030 springs at a minimum.
Unfortunately, at present, a non-stock gearbox in PCA racing will bump you up to the GT class, GT2S, specifically, not just to prepared/C class. GT2S is insanely fast and expensive, and even a moderately prepared 993 with a stock engine would be a rolling chicane without significant motor mods and a severe weight-loss program. However, in two days, we'll know if this gearbox rule for stock cars still holds true or not, for there is a proposal to allow stock cars that have been prepared (i.e. a 993 running in C class) to run different gearboxes, thereby not bumping it to GT. Most of these proposals never make it as actual rules.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:29 PM
CDILL
Racer

Thanks for all of the info after doing a little research I don't think I will be doing the 3.8 motor but, will look into the different gear ratios a little more. The car for me is mainly a street car that I drive back and forth on sunny days and ocasionally use at local club track days. I am definetly not disappointed in the current performance but it never hurts to go a little bit faster. Unfortunately there is no longer a track any where near where I live for at least a couple more years.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:39 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I was always disappointed that the 3.8L conversion actually only adds. 0.15L, not 0.2L. Kind of a ripoff.

Changing gear ratios is also veeeeery expensive. Several thousand dollars. Some people (including stock class racers, doh!) just change the ring & pinion, which still costs a few thousand $$.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:58 PM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It's such a shame you chaps stateside appear not to have custom remapping, a few of the guys over here are offering approx 320bhp from a standard 3.6L for approx $1000...

I have been on track with a remapped 3.6......no real advantage from my RS 3.8 lump at all
Old 10-30-2007, 05:58 PM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

btw, ballpark how much is one of the /30 and /32 boxes?
Old 10-30-2007, 06:07 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Changing the cwp to 8:32 doesn't help anything.
Stock g50/20

Issues: 1 is too short, 6 is too long, drops are too big

g50/20 w/ 8:32 cwp

issues: 1 is way too short, 6 is too short, same big drops

g50/30 cup

issues: 6 is a little too short for best fuel economy, you will shift a lot more(not really an issue because it ius a joy)

This one sort of gets the idea of the feel of a stock vs g50/30

Quick Reply: 3.8 Kit?'s