Calling Wheel Experts, TPMS questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 12:53 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts
Default Calling Wheel Experts, TPMS questions

Hi,

I am in the process of getting a set of used Speedlines (pics below) for my Cayman. I called the dealer today to ask about mounting tires and switching the TPMS sensors over to the new wheels (mine is a 2007 so TPMS is mandatory for the car). They told me that not all wheels are born equal as far as TPMS goes. Older wheels may not have the cavity by the valve stem in place to receive the TPMS sensors. What a rude awakening that was.

I called Tire Rack and they confirmed that they only carry wheels that are TPMS compatible, and true there are wheels out there, older ones especially, that are not TPMS compatible.

I see that I have these options:
(1) Ditch the used Speedlines and keep the OEM wheels.
(2) Buy new TPMS compatible wheels, but I just love the look of these Speedlines.
(3) Keep the Speedlines, and forget about TPMS (if these indeed are not compatible), and live with the warning lights.
(4) See if there are wheel experts who can make these Speedlines TPMS compatible.

So if anyone has any suggestions on this TPMS mess, please educate me. I really hate these newer modern cars. Change the wheels messes with the TPMS. Change the seats messes with the seat-mount side air-bags. Life with these newer cars is so much more complicated than with the plain 993.

Any help here is appreciated.

CP
Attached Images   
Old 10-26-2007, 01:20 AM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pong...My wife has a Lexus SC430 with the TPMS on the run flat tires. Many people on the SC430 board get rid of the stock rims and run flats and just put up with the warning light when they get other rims. I think I even read that there is a way of disabling the light. I really do not know if you can do that with your Cayman, but I also like the Speedlines. Good luck.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:25 AM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by rcwelch
Pong... Many people on the SC430 board get rid of the stock rims and run flats and just put up with the warning light when they get other rims. I think I even read that there is a way of disabling the light. but I also like the Speedlines. Good luck.
Randy,

That's one of my options and frankly that's most likely what I'd do. I use gages for pressure checks anyways. I also keep my cars forever, so I don't worry about resale and 'what'll the next guy say kind of issues'. Can't pass up the classic look of the Speedlines for a lousy PTMS system, me think.

Glad to see you have a set of Speedline on your 993, 18" I bet.

CP
Old 10-26-2007, 01:27 AM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 19 Posts

I'd go with the rims you like and concentrate on finding a way to kill of the warning light. Move our TPMS into your glovebox by getting a nice air guage to carry around!
Old 10-26-2007, 04:04 AM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pong -

You dawg!!! Those wheels are ace! Make 'em work ...

Scott
Old 10-26-2007, 11:16 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

I would like to see the mounting requirements for the TPMS sensors.

It may be that wheels not able to accept these sensors need just a quick and simple spot face operation on the inside surface of the wheel, local to the tire stem bore.

Last edited by chris walrod; 10-26-2007 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:23 PM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by chris walrod
I would like to see the mouting requirements for the TPMS sensors.

It may be that wheels not able to accept these sensors need just a quick and simple spot face operation on the inside surface of the wheel, local to the tire stem bore.
Chris,

This is exactly why I am calling on wheel experts.

Can you judge what it takes: "quick and simple spot face operation on the inside surface of the wheel", or you know some other wheel experts (ala wheelenhancement etc.) who can tell you. Any help in this area is much appreciated.

Thanks.

CP
Old 10-26-2007, 02:43 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

I know that there are aftermarket TPMS's where the sending unit in each wheel attaches via a band. I don't know how reliable that would be on a high speed vehicle or if there are any that are compatible with oem TPMS receivers. I would suggest calling Tire Rack or Wheel Enhancement directly.

Here is a LINK to The Tire Racks TPMS page.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:01 PM
CP
Race Director

Jeff,

I am not particularly interested in TPMS per se. My main goal is to avoid the annoying dash light that comes with loosing the TPMS syatem with the Speedline wheels.

Going with other TPMS may not eliminate the dash warning lights, so that does me no good.

CP
Old 10-26-2007, 04:52 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CP
Jeff,

I am not particularly interested in TPMS per se. My main goal is to avoid the annoying dash light that comes with loosing the TPMS syatem with the Speedline wheels.

Going with other TPMS may not eliminate the dash warning lights, so that does me no good.

CP
I was just thinking that you may be able to find aftermarket sending units that would feed info to the oem receiver and have a working system to avoid having the light. If your main interest is in just disabling the TPMS, I am sure there is a way to do that too, but the the info may be harder to come by due to liability concerns. While TPMS may be a requirement here is the US, I don't think that is true everywhere. In some cars, it is as simple as reprogramming the system using a diagnostic tool / bosch hammmer type of thing. Good luck.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:54 PM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Pong...my wheels are made by DP Motorsports and they are close to a Speedline...take a closer look. They are 17's.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:13 PM
CP
Race Director

Randy,

The main difference is that your DP Motorsports wheels have thicker spokes, and thicker rims, thus the vent openings are a little smaller than the Speedlines. Hides the brakes a little more.

They are very close in basic design though. Are yours chrome, or just high-polish? Looks beautiful on Iris Blue Metallic, no doubt.

CP
Old 10-26-2007, 11:42 PM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

High polish with a painted center...
Old 10-27-2007, 12:11 AM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm.

How about a small canister with a screw on lid
Drill a hole in the lid
Insert a valve stem (metal screw in type would be safest)
Throw the four sensors into it
Close it up and pressurize it to 30psi
Throw it in the trunk indefinitely

Not sure if the computer receives all data from a central point or not but this seems plausible.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:10 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by VNTGSPD
Hmmm.

How about a small canister with a screw on lid
Drill a hole in the lid
Insert a valve stem (metal screw in type would be safest)
Throw the four sensors into it
Close it up and pressurize it to 30psi
Throw it in the trunk indefinitely

Not sure if the computer receives all data from a central point or not but this seems plausible.
I like that thought. How about screwing four sensors into your fire extinguisher

Quick Reply: Calling Wheel Experts, TPMS questions