993 Forum 1995-1998

95 or 96

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 08:05 PM
joey c
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 or 96

i may sell my 87.I am looking at a 95 c4 or a 96 c2..both have about 83xxx miles...what do you guys think...i have read that the 96-on have had some problems that have led to top end rebuilds...is the 95 included in this..i don't mind a c4..the price range is very close also so not an issue..the extra power is not important for me either..well..thanks,j
Old 10-19-2007, 09:55 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

95 FTW!
Old 10-19-2007, 10:16 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a lot of threads on this. The '95 is also subject to clogging of the SAI ports, but the OBD-1 doesn't look at it, so you won't get an error code, and will be able to pass smog inspection. Some have had success cleaning the SAI ports, and have avoided a top end overhaul. The 96+ has the Varioram induction and makes a bit more power. 95's are easier to chip and don't have the immobilizer issues. 95's also have the basket handle. If you do a search, you'll find more. IMHO, there are pros and cons for both, so buy the better car as you see it.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:59 AM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 993_Pilot
There are a lot of threads on this. The '95 is also subject to clogging of the SAI ports, but the OBD-1 doesn't look at it, so you won't get an error code, and will be able to pass smog inspection. Some have had success cleaning the SAI ports, and have avoided a top end overhaul. The 96+ has the Varioram induction and makes a bit more power. 95's are easier to chip and don't have the immobilizer issues. 95's also have the basket handle. If you do a search, you'll find more. IMHO, there are pros and cons for both, so buy the better car as you see it.
+3!
Old 10-20-2007, 09:44 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

95's also have the basket handle.
Starting at some point in late '95, the basket handle was superseded by the high-mount light. Targas & Cabs kept the basket handle though.

I almost ignored the 993 I eventually purchased because of the basket handle. Sage advice from a certain rapscallion with a Polar Silver '95 convinced me that I was nuts for overlooking an otherwise super car.

So - go for the '95!

Andreas
Old 10-20-2007, 10:31 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435

I almost ignored the 993 I eventually purchased because of the basket handle. Sage advice from a certain rapscallion with a Polar Silver '95 convinced me that I was nuts for overlooking an otherwise super car.
I would love some scallions!

You chose a fine example of a 993.

-Mark, HWFMR Team PITA
Old 10-20-2007, 10:44 AM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at both and ask your heart (after PPI of course!)...
Old 10-20-2007, 10:50 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Starting at some point in late '95, the basket handle was superseded by the high-mount light. Targas & Cabs kept the basket handle though.

So - go for the '95!

Andreas
I am deLongabergered!
Old 10-20-2007, 11:13 AM
melman911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I almost ignored the 993 I eventually purchased because of the basket handle
You know I have to agree I like the ol' basket handle. I've heard some say it should be the first thing to get rid of but I like. Gives the car character.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:09 PM
joey c
Pro

james, my 87 is an amazingly great car..its been trouble free and is an absolute blast to drive..i have a dansk exhaust and a steve wong chip,drilled out air box..the thing sounds great..i have owned a 993 and absolutely love the looks of the 993..its by far my favorite looking 911..i would also like more power.

for whatever its worth,i drive on country roads only..no track..no traffic..i go for long hard drives..honestly i am leaning towards the 96 cause its red and black like my 87...the 95 is a c4..its green (adventurine ??)and black..i dont think i have seen this color in person,but i will say that i dont love the color..thanks guys
Old 10-20-2007, 06:12 PM
joey c
Pro

aventurine..oops
Old 10-20-2007, 06:21 PM
ssarchi
Burning Brakes

I too just bought a '95- but simply because of condition and mileage- I really did not care one way or another.

But the basket handle thing is funny- It is one of many mods that people do but it changes the original character of the car. So people put carbon dashes in, put three spoke steering wheels instead of the original, change the badge to a silver one..... no improvement but all steps away from original. Now that CTR front bumper is BETTER than the original and is an improvement, same with those RUF wheels.... I know, this makes no sense but it originates with the idea that the original designers of the car knew what they were doing and did one heck of good job and you really have to spend a lot of money on a part to get something which is actually better than the original.....
Old 10-20-2007, 08:55 PM
rconnon
Pro

i have a late build '95 without basket handle and with immobilizer. I love it.
if i had to do it again and was looking for a non-wide body coupe i'd go '95 all day.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:19 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I like my Longaberger car///

Go basket - you'll never look back!~
Old 10-20-2007, 09:21 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by ssarchi
But the basket handle thing is funny- It is one of many mods that people do but it changes the original character of the car. So people put carbon dashes in, put three spoke steering wheels instead of the original, change the badge to a silver one..... no improvement but all steps away from original. Now that CTR front bumper is BETTER than the original and is an improvement, same with those RUF wheels.... I know, this makes no sense but it originates with the idea that the original designers of the car knew what they were doing and did one heck of good job and you really have to spend a lot of money on a part to get something which is actually better than the original.....
The original designers, like many designers before and many designers after, did numerous things for reasons of cost effectiveness, too. The Monroe (Monroe!!) shocks are perfect examples of penny-pinching and a perfect example of how not every aspect of the 993 was designed for ultimate performance (or looks). Similarly those OEM wheels are not the lightest, either. I lift my 17" cup wheels every time I go to the track and my Fikse FM-10 wheels are far, far lighter.

By the way, from what I understand, Porsche spec'd out the early US 993's with the basket handle third brake light from the targa and cab because they had not yet received US federal approval for the window third brake light. By removing the basket handle, owners are bringing the character of the coupes back to the way Porsche wanted the cars to look for the US market and are, IMHO, not even close to changing the character of the car.

Quick Reply: 95 or 96