Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cheap Wheels on eBay

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 01:09 AM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cheap Wheels on eBay

I know that a lot of you won't be interested in these, but a few people here have used, and liked them. For the price ($299 + $155 shipping), you can't beat them for street use. I have seen them in person, and they look pretty damn good. The weight is a bit heavy, but no more so than solid spoke twists. There are several sets available.
(Just thought I would pass the deal on, No affiliation, yada, yada, yada.)

Mesh Style:
LINK
LINK
LINK
LINK
SSR GT3 Style:
LINK
LINK
LINK
Attached Images   
Old 10-19-2007, 02:29 AM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those SSR's are BEEUTIFULL!! If I didn't already have Genuine Porsche Technology Hollow Spoke wheels, I'd be on these like a D******t on free p*t!
Old 10-19-2007, 09:21 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's what I don't understand - it costs no more to manufacture a good looking wheel than it does a cheap looking wheel. The materials are the same, only the mold changes. So why do all cheap wheels look so cheap? Hell, why couldn't they have copied the BBS Motorsport wheel design?
Old 10-19-2007, 11:20 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

That's not always true ... the old 911 Fuchs rims were forged and would bend but almost never break; cast replicas were not nearly as strong and prone to shattering. The hollow-spoke Technology rims were friction welded, etc. You have to wonder if the replicas pass the German TUV testing, which is much more stringent than our DOT standards, or how good the quality control is as far as hairline cracks, metal purity, etc. ... I think you often get what you pay for.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:50 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It does amaze me that so-called lesser marques have hundreds of wheels to choose from, in attractive styles, that weigh very little, perform fine on road and track and cost well under $1000 a set.

In the Porsche world, we consider 20lb+ wheels to be a reasonable weight, put up with styling that's either stodgy or overstyled bling, and pay through the nose for the privilege.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:43 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vjd3
That's not always true ... the old 911 Fuchs rims were forged and would bend but almost never break; cast replicas were not nearly as strong and prone to shattering. The hollow-spoke Technology rims were friction welded, etc. You have to wonder if the replicas pass the German TUV testing, which is much more stringent than our DOT standards, or how good the quality control is as far as hairline cracks, metal purity, etc. ... I think you often get what you pay for.
Yeah but you're missing the point - the Fuchs and Hollow spokes are special cases... Assuming we've already accepted that aftermarket wheels will be heavy, there is NOTHING keeping them from making the cast molding in the shape of a BBS Motorsport wheel, or a 3.6 Turbo wheel, et al. These are not lightweight wheels, there's no special technology required to produce them.

Quick Reply: Cheap Wheels on eBay