Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's almost time for a new suspension! ...another PSS-9 question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 04:04 AM
993USMC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question It's almost time for a new suspension! ...another PSS-9 question.

Hi all,
I'm on the fence between the M030/Bilstein and the PSS-9 set ups. The price is close enough (of course I can get the upgraded sways with the OEM set up as a bonus). If I were to purchase the PSS-9, the budget won't allow for sways.

The answer to this question may push me one way or another:
Does the PSS-9 upgrade require me to purchase new droplinks or anything else?

TIA,
Doug

Last edited by 993USMC; 10-17-2007 at 04:32 AM.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:09 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You should order 2 extra lock-rings but otherwise no new drop links required, unless you want to go really low. You can upgrade sways later. The PSS9s are really nice and the adjustability is a big plus.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:20 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
Default PSS9's

Bias Opinion here... PSS9's have a Huge range of ride settings which really make it nice when you want to track it / autocross / or cruise on the road w/o rattling your fillings out. Mine are about a month old and I just changed the ride to Soft this weekend and cannot believe how well the car rides for how low it is. my $ .02
Attached Images   
Old 10-17-2007, 10:29 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

A recent PSS9 install on this beauty. The above mentioned advice is great, buy two extra lock rings for the RARB mount. Some detail clearancing is required to install the lock rings on the bottom of the ARB drop link mount as they foul the gusset ribs slightly. See image below.

Also, if you go much lower than this car, you will need to shorten the provided rear drop links as they get really really close to interfering with the rear toe links (at full droop).
Attached Images   
Old 10-17-2007, 10:42 AM
993USMC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Troy and Dave!
You cars look great...that's the look I'm going for. I recently bought a set of turbo twists and had them shipped to LA... bought them via internet while deployed to Ramadi, Iraq...I have a bit of a patience problem.

It looks like PSS-9s it is. Now to break it to the wife....it's a good thing Christmas is coming up.

Just got a message from ViperBob...the PSS-9s do require new droplinks...but they're included in the kit. Thanks Bob!

Regards,
Doug

Last edited by 993USMC; 10-17-2007 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:13 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 349 Posts
Default Drop links....

I am looking at a front set from Tarett Engineering in San Diego. [URL="http://www.tarett.com/items/993-964-products/list.htm"]

Totally adjustable to eliminate sway bar preload. And the right length too, not too long preventing any possible contact between the drop link and the lower control arm. The stock Porsche drop links I was using were too long, about 225 mm. 200mm is best for me, + or - a few mm for adjustability.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:35 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 886 Likes on 584 Posts
Default PSS9 and ride height

Originally Posted by 007DT
Bias Opinion here... PSS9's have a Huge range of ride settings which really make it nice when you want to track it / autocross / or cruise on the road w/o rattling your fillings out. Mine are about a month old and I just changed the ride to Soft this weekend and cannot believe how well the car rides for how low it is. my $ .02

PSS9s have <nine> settings for ride quality, right? (actually plus iterations of all possible combinations of each strut [reaching back to dark educational past, I think this is called factorials ?] ).

questions;
1. does each change in ride setting correspond to a ride height setting?

2. if so, does the ride height change enough to require wheel alignment to be repeated?

cheers

Craig
Old 10-17-2007, 11:48 AM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 228 Posts

Dumb question but what does a PSS-9 setup run installed?
Old 10-17-2007, 12:23 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
PSS9s have <nine> settings for ride quality, right? (actually plus iterations of all possible combinations of each strut [reaching back to dark educational past, I think this is called factorials ?] ).

questions;

2. if so, does the ride height change enough to require wheel alignment to be repeated?

cheers

Craig
No, the 9 position damper settings do not also adjust ride height.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:25 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonVW
Dumb question but what does a PSS-9 setup run installed?
about 6-7 hours for the primary install and 2-4 hours for an alignment depending upon whether a corner balance is included or not.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:51 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm no great driver, but from my experience there are actually about three settings - stiff, soft and everything else.

Greg H.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:02 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

questions;

You can dial in the Stiff - Soft setting between 1-9 which is easily accessable. (literally takes 3 minutes) Then you can adjust the height by basically turning the bracket supporting the spring on the coilover. The adjustment on height is variable from 0 - ~35mm. That being said, any large height adjustment would require an alignment adjustment. However a "softening" adjustoment can be made without any alignment needed.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:24 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg H.
I'm no great driver, but from my experience there are actually about three settings - stiff, soft and everything else.

Greg H.
Greg is right. It's pretty well known that the settings aren't very linear. IMHO, it's more like this:

1=stiff
8-9=way too soft & bouncy
2-7= everything else

I saw some PSS9 shock dyno plots for a non-porsche application (audi IIRC) and it confirmed this.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:10 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 886 Likes on 584 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat-6 Performance
No, the 9 position damper settings do not also adjust ride height.
Originally Posted by 007DT
questions;

You can dial in the Stiff - Soft setting between 1-9 which is easily accessable. (literally takes 3 minutes) Then you can adjust the height by basically turning the bracket supporting the spring on the coilover. The adjustment on height is variable from 0 - ~35mm. That being said, any large height adjustment would require an alignment adjustment. However a "softening" adjustoment can be made without any alignment needed.
thank you!
purchasing PSS9's vs MO30 makes more sense now

cheers

Craig
Old 10-17-2007, 04:24 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Greg is right. It's pretty well known that the settings aren't very linear. IMHO, it's more like this:

1=stiff
8-9=way too soft & bouncy
2-7= everything else

I saw some PSS9 shock dyno plots for a non-porsche application (audi IIRC) and it confirmed this.
From my subjective experience:
1(r)/3(f)=bearable stiff on the street but not that stiff on the track (my current settings)
2-5=everything else
6=bottoming occurs alot
7-9=too too soft and bouncy
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: It's almost time for a new suspension! ...another PSS-9 question.