Sponsored by:

WOW, can't believe no SAI CEL?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 08:27 PM
mbb993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WOW, can't believe no SAI CEL?

Recently did a rather extensive DIY of plugs, wires, caps and rotors and while I was in the neigborhood could not help but notice what great shape my SAI check valve was in. (see below)

It was so corroded I was able to remove the top with no tools! The threaded part was not so easy but thanks to a search here and a great thread I read by Robin I was able to remove it with the use of a 27mm socket. Nice shiny new one in now!

Heres what it looked like after falling apart in my hand. It was clearly not functional. What I can't understand is why I had absolutely no CEL or error codes? Benefits of a my95?
Attached Images   
Old 10-13-2007, 08:39 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, that's why a LOT of people weigh the +'s of a 1995 car i.e. not EVER having a CEL due to the SAI being plugged up or non-functional but having a (slightly) lower BHP -- against having a 1996 (or later) model - which of course has the extra emissions crapola stuffed in - but, of course, which has the addition of the varioram and, thus, some extra HP.

Gerry

P.S. Not for nuffin' but when I had my wrench yank mine out (it took him 3 hrs.) - even after 29,000+ miles - it was still functional - albeit a bit worn-looking and a smidge rusty.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:01 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mbb993
Recently did a rather extensive DIY of plugs, wires, caps and rotors and while I was in the neigborhood could not help but notice what great shape my SAI check valve was in. (see below)

It was so corroded I was able to remove the top with no tools! The threaded part was not so easy but thanks to a search here and a great thread I read by Robin I was able to remove it with the use of a 27mm socket. Nice shiny new one in now!

Heres what it looked like after falling apart in my hand. It was clearly not functional. What I can't understand is why I had absolutely no CEL or error codes? Benefits of a my95?
BTW: did your car run any different (better?) after you got it back together?
Old 10-14-2007, 12:17 PM
mbb993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gerry, Marlon,

Yep, I guess with the my95 you don't know about the problem. I am fortunate here in FL since we have no emissions/inspections so not really an issue.

I did not expect any performance improvements from the SAI valve replacement. I just can't stand having things that arent working as they should so it was just routine mantenance. If it's like most other things I was more concerned that leaving it malfunctiuonaing would eventually lead to need for other repairs down the road. (That's if that isn't already the case)

I also cleaned the ISV valve which wasn't too bad since I had cleaned it about 8months ago. I must admit that before all this she was running pretty good. With that said, the wire, plugs, caps, rotors the main performance improvement I can see is that the idle is now extremely stable at 750 rpm and the engine no longer has the occassional bump while idling that it had before.
Acceleration may be a bit smoother but that is less noticeble.

Feels good!

Last edited by mbb993; 10-14-2007 at 12:56 PM.

Quick Reply: WOW, can't believe no SAI CEL?