Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet Another Remote Programming Question ...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 12:08 AM
RSRee
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet Another Remote Programming Question ...

I know there is currently at least one other recent thread on programming remotes - and I am following that one every step of way! But as opposed to butting into that one, I believe I have a problem that actually starts before you can even begin to start programming a remote. Namely, I don't seem to have the alarm light in the clock that will enable me to enter the 4-digit code! Take a look at the clock of my 95 993 C2:

I'm supposed to have an alarm graphic in there - or should I be looking for that somewhere else. In addition, there is NO bulb, or bulb holder in the hole behind it. Just a blank plug that you can twist in our out - seems original. Anyone know what that symbol stands for? (yes I know, it is difficult to make out)

So, programming the one remote that I have is a non starter for any of the procedures that I have seen for programming remotes because it requires a light in the clock to start flashing to guide me along. And, believe me, I must have seen all the posted programming procedures - they are essentially all the same and as described in the owners manual.

Otherwise my alarm system seems to be OK - I lock and unlock with the key because the remote wasn't working when I bought the car last month. Apparently, the car suffered a dead battery as it now has a new one, and I was told it had lost all its codes. The radio is fine after I re-entered its code and has its own little flashing red light after it is switched off.

When I lock the door with the key the leds in the doors flash quickly as usuall for a few seconds, then settle down at the normal rate, telling me things are as they should be.

Conclusion? I don't have an alarm? - or maybe just an immobilizer, and this is controlled with the remote? But how to program it? Something peculiar to an early 95-993? (built in 2/94)

I'm open to suggestions.

Rob
-95 993 C2
Old 10-12-2007, 02:22 AM
Toddimus
Instructor

I'd venture to guess that you don't have an immobilizer. If you could start the car without pressing the remote button or doing the code entry process, you don't have an immobilizer. I think if you had an immobilizer unit and you tried to unlock the door with the key, the alarm horn would beep. Then the interior lights and parking lights would flash.

You could look under the driver's seat and see if there's two boxes. Looking from behind the seat, the immobilizer box (approx. 4"x6"x1.5" thick) would be mounted on the right side. You might be able to see the part number 993.618.159.02. All of this applies to my '97, but I think it should be the same for a '95 with immobilizer.

If you have it, I'd try just installing a bulb where the blank is in the clock. Then see if it comes on like it should.

I hate to say it, but I think you've been hornswoggled into believing you have a working remote by the seller. Does the remote say "Porsche" on the outside? Or RK116 on the back?
Old 10-12-2007, 12:27 PM
RSRee
Advanced

Thanks Toddimus, under the driver seat I have only the Motronic and the Tiptronic control unit. No shroud covering the units either. So the immobilizer was either removed or never there. No evidence that anything was removed; loose wires, screw holes, bolts, etc.

There are several boxes under the passenger seat - can't quite make out what they are without removing the seat, and I'll do that later. The largest box there would seem to be radio related. Can't read the writing on the 2 smaller boxes as they are too far under the seat.

The one remote I have is a proper remote, with all the guts inside, battery, and the led light up if you press the button. Numbers on the back include RKY 116. So, I'm not sure what is going on.

Thanks again,

Rob
-95 993 Coupe

Last edited by RSRee; 10-12-2007 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Forgot somehting ...
Old 10-12-2007, 12:50 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a 95 993 C2 with a build date of 6/94. I did not come with an immobilizer.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:03 PM
RSRee
Advanced

OK - no immobilizer - but do you have a keyless (remote) entry with this car?

Rob
-95 993 Coupe
Old 10-12-2007, 02:33 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

No! I must unlock the doors the old fashioned way----with the key.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:47 PM
RSRee
Advanced

OK - Thanks! I guess I'll just keep doing that ...

And I just found a lot more info on this (early 993 without immobilizer):
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ighlight=alarm

I'm taking a good look at that info now.

Rob
- 1995 993 Coupe

Quick Reply: Yet Another Remote Programming Question ...