Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Top End Rebuilds -I'm Confused

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 08:38 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the top end rebuild issue depends on the car and how it has been taken care of. There is a guy on here named richardew who's 993 has over 200,000 miles with no rebuild. He is the original owner and it's his daily driver. My car has 98,000 miles and does not smoke, even on start up, and uses 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles, which is in spec. Maybe someone should set up a poll because there are only 4 replys who say they had a rebuild. Makes me wonder if a bad batch of valves came out of the foundry one time, but other batches may not have been the same. Hard to tell the real story without real numbers. The controversy may get fed by the disappointed owners who had to shell out thousands of dollars to fix a premium brand car that they expected would never have this kind of problem. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:57 AM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by vjd3
I had mine done (58k miles) for $3500, huge difference, car runs great, has not used a drop of oil in 7000 miles. The mechanic showed me the guides, they were totally shot.
You had an entire top end performed by a reputable shop for $3500? Are you kidding? Who and where? These jobs normally run from 6k-8k...don't they???
Old 10-13-2007, 04:38 AM
JChiles
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Land Jet
I think the top end rebuild issue depends on the car and how it has been taken care of. There is a guy on here named richardew who's 993 has over 200,000 miles with no rebuild. He is the original owner and it's his daily driver. My car has 98,000 miles and does not smoke, even on start up, and uses 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles, which is in spec. Maybe someone should set up a poll because there are only 4 replys who say they had a rebuild. Makes me wonder if a bad batch of valves came out of the foundry one time, but other batches may not have been the same. Hard to tell the real story without real numbers. The controversy may get fed by the disappointed owners who had to shell out thousands of dollars to fix a premium brand car that they expected would never have this kind of problem. Just my 2 cents.
Agree. My has about 90K and uses about 1 liter/10000 km. My take is that it is exaggerated, when discussing 993 issues on forums here in sweden this is hardly ever mentioned as an issue. I haven't met anyone who has done a rebuild because of valve guides.

Last edited by JChiles; 10-13-2007 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:14 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYT993
You had an entire top end performed by a reputable shop for $3500? Are you kidding? Who and where? These jobs normally run from 6k-8k...don't they???
No, he's not kidding. There's a thread detailing all that was done; think it was done in Mass' or Boston. Search is your friend...
Old 10-13-2007, 03:21 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 416 Posts

I had mine done at 93k miles. In fact I have Vic's old car (who you are quoting). The top end/valve job cost me about $3500 in southern New Hampshire. Had other things done too but the base job was $3500. Since it was done I haven't burned any oil and the car runs like a champ.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:21 PM
Jay993turbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crimson Nape Racing
compression or leak down tests will not show valve guide wear. The only way to tell is oil consumption, which you cannot test for.....

Thats not true. A worn valve guide causes the valve to wobble which in turn causes wear on the valve seat. Especially with the smaller diameter valve stems. This will show in a leakdown test. A leakdown test should always be done...imho.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:22 AM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast_freddy
I had mine done at 93k miles. In fact I have Vic's old car (who you are quoting). The top end/valve job cost me about $3500 in southern New Hampshire. Had other things done too but the base job was $3500. Since it was done I haven't burned any oil and the car runs like a champ.
Wow!!! Unfortunately, I don't think I've heard of anyone on the West Coast doing quality valve jobs for THAT much. That's a helluva value.

Last edited by FLYT993; 10-15-2007 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-14-2007, 12:13 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 772 Likes on 416 Posts

Wow!!! Unfortunately, I don't think I've heard of anyone on the West Coast doing quuality valve jobs for THAT much. That's a helluva value.
Well, I think the thing you have working against you in SoCal is the simple law of supply and demand. Lots of Porsches, good weather year round, people willing to throw money at problems trying to make them go away. You've heard of the "yankee thrift" I'm sure... People around here would tell you to F-off if a valve job was quoted at $8k. Also, for the guy both Vic and I used, his overhead is minimal relative to more pretentious shops, lets just say his garage is 180 degrees away from pretentious. We're not paying for a pretty showroom/waiting area. Just like someone from SoCal said about the guy I used (he used too), "Just a smart guy with a box of wrenches".
Old 10-14-2007, 01:03 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay993turbo
Thats not true. A worn valve guide causes the valve to wobble which in turn causes wear on the valve seat. Especially with the smaller diameter valve stems. This will show in a leakdown test. A leakdown test should always be done...imho.
Not entirely true. For those who don't browse it, we recently had this discussion on the Turbo forum.

Bad valve guides won't always cause the valve to seat improperly, they just won't guide it properly every time. It is possible to do a leakdown test and have the valve luckily (or unluckily) seat in the proper position, yielding good numbers. However, if the engine was turned over and the leakdown performed again, the numbers would probably be worse as the valve would not seat properly.

In conclusion, bad leakdown numbers can be indicative of shot valve guides but a car with bad guides CAN occasionally seat properly and give okay leakdown numbers. The thread on the turbo forum is here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turbo-forum/383791-lower-valve-cover.html

It was originally about valve covers, but don't worry, it quickly drifted.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:30 PM
matt777
Drifting

One of the reasons I started this thread is because of the big numbers guys had thrown out for head/guide work ($8-12K). I'm just guessing that these jobs often snowball to include much more extensive work scopes "while the engine is out". I've done enough engine work to wonder how they could possibly spend that kind of money without lots of new parts (like rings, pistons and liners, etc.)
Old 10-14-2007, 05:28 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by matt777
"while the engine is out".
Like the infamous 'throw in a set of Carrillos, while were there'..
Old 10-14-2007, 05:34 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

And since the pistons need to come out to install the rods, we might as well get some bigger ones and bore it out to 3.8L...
Old 10-14-2007, 05:45 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast_freddy
Well, I think the thing you have working against you in SoCal is the simple law of supply and demand. Lots of Porsches, good weather year round, people willing to throw money at problems trying to make them go away. You've heard of the "yankee thrift" I'm sure... People around here would tell you to F-off if a valve job was quoted at $8k. Also, for the guy both Vic and I used, his overhead is minimal relative to more pretentious shops, lets just say his garage is 180 degrees away from pretentious. We're not paying for a pretty showroom/waiting area. Just like someone from SoCal said about the guy I used (he used too), "Just a smart guy with a box of wrenches".

FF, I agree. If you guys are getting outstanding work for those prices I could conceivably make the case for shipping or even driving the car to "your" guy, when and if the need arises. My car just turned 74k so I'm in that "window" or at least approaching it rapidly. She burns about a quart every 2000-2500 and not a puff of smoke on start ups.

What non OEM material is your guy replacing the guides with?
Old 10-14-2007, 07:46 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

Mine went from $6500 to $9500 due to LWF, clutch, plug wires, bunch of little stuff. I mean, the labor is free "while we're in there", right? And I am using about 2 quarts less Mobil 1 per 10K miles so I am saving in the long run.

We pay more for everything in CA: housing, gas, motels, restaurants, potholes, ....
Old 10-15-2007, 01:57 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche
And since the pistons need to come out to install the rods, we might as well get some bigger ones and bore it out to 3.8L...
I think that if my engine was ever out, I'd have a hard time putting it back in without 3.8L P&Cs. Could (should?) you keep the same rods?

Is there a downside to a 3.8? Other peripheral work required?

Quick Reply: Top End Rebuilds -I'm Confused