Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does this look like proper distributor rotor orientation???

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 01:05 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Does this look like proper distributor rotor orientation???

I am changing my caps & rotors to troubleshoot a 'miss' at 5700rpm & above. Does this look like proper rotor orientation??? (I can't find any pics of a known good-to-go system) I would 'guess' that they should be sort of parallel, but maybe not??? Any insights, comments before I button it up???

BTW: the rotors and cap are new.
Attached Images  
Old 10-07-2007, 02:15 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marlon: I didn't pay much attention to the orientation of the rotors. They were both pointing in same general direction, but didn't seem exactly "parallel" . I did have to press down quite hard to make sure they snapped down all the way. Car ran the same before and after: nearly perfect, if not perfectly smooth. My car has 78K and there's no record of this ever being done before.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:31 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Marlon,
IIRC, the distributor body has small tick marks cast into it - indicating where the rotors should point at TDC.

Andreas
Old 10-07-2007, 03:19 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Everybody - the rotors are installed correctly on the distributor shafts. My question is whether of not the rotors should be roughly parallel since the plug wire (cylinder ) numbers molded into the two distributor caps are the same with the same orientation around each cap. (There's no 1 - 6 cap & a separate 7 - 12 cap, they both have 1 - 6 molded in tiny numbers on the cap next to each socket) Just curious that one rotor is pointing at a particular cylinder, the other rotor is pointing at another cylinder.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:25 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about to pull some parts and re-check mine. My car runs fine, no misses but I had major power loss this summer in 100F heat going up a steep mountain in CA (around 3000 ft elevation). So I'm going to check mine to make sure it's right. I'll shoot some pics for reference once I get in there.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:36 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Originally Posted by FotoVeloce
I'm about to pull some parts and re-check mine. My car runs fine, no misses but I had major power loss this summer in 100F heat going up a steep mountain in CA (around 3000 ft elevation). So I'm going to check mine to make sure it's right. I'll shoot some pics for reference once I get in there.
Cool! When I get it all back together I plan to pull the coil lead on the 'primary' distro cap and see if the car rusn ok on the secondary side. If not, I might have a belt or seized bearing issue or both. Or not...
Old 10-07-2007, 04:05 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The rotors are offset by 1/6 revolution, they are not "parallel". You can turn your engine (bump w/starter, pushing 6th gear, use a wrench on the fan pulley) and line up the top distributor to the #1 mark, and you should see the lower distributor line up to it's number one mark as well.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:21 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Is the engine at TDC?
Old 10-07-2007, 08:01 PM
Marlon
Drifting

DooooH@! I just noticed that the caps actually mount a little bit offset in term of 'rotation' when you look at them directly from above. In other words one is twisted a little. Soooooo - when the caps are off, it would be easy to misinterpret the rotor positions relative to each other. Sorry for the doofus emergency. We can all rest easy now

Quick Reply: Does this look like proper distributor rotor orientation???