993 Forum 1995-1998

DIY odometer repair pics with needle installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 04:58 PM
hyphenf15
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile DIY odometer repair pics with needle installed

The DIY was a relatively easy job - about a 3 on the 1-10 scale. You must be patient and take your time. I got great service from Jeff Caplan at Odometer gears - No affiliation, etc. etc. I even had a problem with one of my parts being drilled at an angle and he immediately sent me a new set - great service!!

I took the speedometer/odometer apart without removing the speedometer needle. I didn't see any other pictures around the web site or the DIY locations with what it looks like, so I will post those pics below. You do have to remove the two small black screws on the face plate to get enough free room to lift the side motor up at an angle, about 50 degrees, to remove it from the case. Once it is out, you have access to the gears that turn the odometer. I also included a picture of the broken gear. I replace both gears to be on the safe side. I really didn't want to take the speedo apart again for the other original gear though it looked OK.

BTW - make sure you accomplish a test drive before putting the glass and metal bezel back on. I did not do it that way and had to take it apart to figure out why the thing didn't work. That is when I discovered the hole drilled at an angle in the gear instead of straight. Anyway, it works great now and Jeff was great help over the phone. I also installed a new piece of plexiglass which I had made locally for $10 bucks. No more scratches and the speedo and odo work great. Hope the pictures help someone who might want to take this project on.
Attached Images     

Last edited by hyphenf15; 10-13-2007 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Poor title

Quick Reply: DIY odometer repair pics with needle installed