Sponsored by:

Power windows and sunroof non-functional

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 02:15 PM
MikeHerman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power windows and sunroof non-functional

After some searching on the forum and messing around with my car, I was wondering if any of you had some input on a situation of mine. Recently, both windows and the sunroof have decided to stop working. I pulled the fuses and they look fine (they are on separate fuses). I don't think the switches or motors are to blame either (how could all three go at the same time?) The first time they stopped working was about two weeks ago. After a few restarts of the car and some driving around, they came back to life and started working again. This past weekend, the same problem occurred and did not go away. Could this be some kind of wiring issue? All ideas are welcome.

p.s. I travel during the week and can only troubleshoot this over the weekend
Old 10-02-2007, 02:36 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have only heard of this kind of problem on one other car and it was due to a faulty factory wiring harness.

Was your car part of the 993 wiring harness recall by Porsche? I would suggest checking it and seeing if it was, then you can have it replaced for free. Otherwise change out all the window & sunroof fuses for new and try them again.

Good Luck....................ZP44
Old 10-02-2007, 04:14 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What about relays?
Old 10-03-2007, 11:51 AM
MikeHerman
Intermediate

Zombie, I called about the recall and it seems to have been taken care of. They told me that there are no outstanding recalls on the car.

Marlon, what relays are you reffering to, where are they located, and what is the best way to check them?
Old 10-03-2007, 12:28 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeHerman
Zombie, I called about the recall and it seems to have been taken care of. They told me that there are no outstanding recalls on the car.

Marlon, what relays are you reffering to, where are they located, and what is the best way to check them?
I'm guessing that the windows and roof are large amp load circuits and will have a relay associated with them. Check your owners manual nd circuit page and it should identify it (or them). Otherwise it may not be a relay-actuated circuit. I am at work so I do not have access to my Streather book at the moment...
Old 10-03-2007, 06:20 PM
cowtown
Racer

Originally Posted by MikeHerman

Hi Mike,
Well, it looks like the left and right windows use different ground points, so I'm guessing you have a problem with your +12V feed. The sunroof and windows are powered by the same + line, split into two coded red/blu (red solid with a blue stripe). Can you pop the center-console switch holder off and test the sunroof switch to see if it's hot when the ignition's in the RUN position? Next step would be to pop out a window switch and see what you have there.

If all are dead, you would have to test at the bottom of the fuse/relay panel. That should start narrowing it down.

Intermittancy tells me you're going to find a problem at the power relay shown in the diagram or at a connector....

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Power windows and sunroof non-functional