Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Help! I damaged my rental car!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007 | 02:56 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vjd3
Clean it up as best you can, maybe run to the autoparts store and get some touchup paint and try to feather it in (Langka, etc.). See what happens. If they have an after-hours drop, use it.
If that isnt as dishonest as it gets. One would believe if you destroy someones property, you should be responsible for it regardless if its a rental car or not.

Deal with the issue, accept responsibility for you actions. It could come back to haunt you if you dont.
Old 09-30-2007 | 03:19 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

From: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

Best be upfront about it. It's an agreement you signed. If you do a drop-and-run, they may try to hit your card for the damage without even talking to you, and then you'll have a mess on your hands...

That's why I've always said, I would never BUY an ex-rental car, because people like me rent 'em
Old 09-30-2007 | 03:51 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

If you drop it in the dark after a touch-up... what happens to the sucker who rents it after you? Let's say they don't notice after your drop off but do after his? That's messed up...
Old 09-30-2007 | 05:20 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

***** ... they will tag you for hundreds of dollars for taking out a ding and airbrushing the paint. They'll knock you for your $500-1000 insurance deductible, then the daily rental charge for a week while the car is waiting at the shop for "loss of use." Meanwhile, it will cost them about $60 to make it good enough, if they bother to fix it at all. You should see the cars they rent in Boston, full of dents, scratches, scraped rims, cigarette burns, etc. But they will go over it with a fine-tooth comb when you return it, looking for more.

Rental car companies stick it to buyers every day. Do you really think a Dodge Neon is worth $400 a week? What about the $9 a gallon fuel charge if you hit traffic on the way back to the airport and don't bring it back full so you'll make your plane?

If they miss the damage, that's their problem. I wouldn't go pointing it out. And if you can touch it up yourself, go for it.
Old 10-01-2007 | 11:03 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

I like the analogy if you damage someone elses property, its their fault.
Old 10-01-2007 | 07:59 PM
RacyTracy
Advanced

Our company orders are NOT to buy any supplemental insurance....and the last thing in the world I would ever do is call my own insurance company. I would expect the rental company to look at this as a money making opportunity.
Old 10-01-2007 | 10:49 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

If its REALLY minor, most rental car companies in major hubs with major corporations won't even bother with it. I hit a temporary construction column in an underground in Boston trying to wedge into the stupidly narrow spaces and noone said a word. Otherwise good luck.

Quick Reply: OT: Help! I damaged my rental car!