Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Dissatisfaction with BMW: E90 and E46?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 02:53 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
And how many times did you take it to this dealer before you realized they were incompetent? I avoid the dealer as much as possible, I would rather live with a small rattle than have them mess up my car.
Cars under warranty, enough said! Nobody said it was a small rattle.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:31 PM
MDamen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an '01 330i. Moderate amount of troubles: water pump, overflow tank, powers steering lines, vacuum leaks. Currently throwing some intermittent codes that indicate a vacuum leak is back. I love driving the car. Currently have about 85,000 miled on it. It has all the luxury and convenience my 993 doesn't.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:53 PM
993 Azul
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CP
I firmly believe the pre-2004 BMWs are wonderful/reliable cars.

My take is that BMW had always been a 'sports' orientated car designer/manufacturer, until the early 2000s. Then they decided that 'luxury' is a better marketing angle than sports (ala MB and Lexus). Their interpretation of luxury is gadgets, LOTS of gadgets (idrive, active brake lights, active steering, adaptive turn signal stalk, and a million other acronyms). Unfortunatley, their electronics and software people are nowhere as skilled as their mechnaical design people. So they have all these newfangled gadgets that are half-baked at best and don't work most of the time. That's when their reliability rating took a dump. Worse yet, all these electronic interferences insulate the drivers from the real driving experience, which was the one factor that built brand loyalty through the years.

That's when BMW lost it IMHO. Luckily as dumb as Bangle is, he dared not mess with the 3 series (that much), so the 3 series remains an incredible car.

Just my 2 cents.

CP
+1 well put.One look at their new designs of instrument panels (can you think Buick) tells the whole story.Sadly for what BMW has become(xcept the 3) there
are better choices but we miss the great cars of the past.

Joseph
Old 09-21-2007, 08:59 PM
kaktis993
Advanced

Originally Posted by CP
I firmly believe the pre-2004 BMWs are wonderful/reliable cars.

My take is that BMW had always been a 'sports' orientated car designer/manufacturer, until the early 2000s. Then they decided that 'luxury' is a better marketing angle than sports (ala MB and Lexus). Their interpretation of luxury is gadgets, LOTS of gadgets (idrive, active brake lights, active steering, adaptive turn signal stalk, and a million other acronyms). Unfortunatley, their electronics and software people are nowhere as skilled as their mechnaical design people. So they have all these newfangled gadgets that are half-baked at best and don't work most of the time. That's when their reliability rating took a dump. Worse yet, all these electronic interferences insulate the drivers from the real driving experience, which was the one factor that built brand loyalty through the years.

That's when BMW lost it IMHO. Luckily as dumb as Bangle is, he dared not mess with the 3 series (that much), so the 3 series remains an incredible car.

Just my 2 cents.

CP
I'll agree with that too... for the most part.

We currently own 6 BMW's and they have all been very reliable cars. That said, I have made it a point to avoid the new Bangalized designs which I personally see as a dilusion of the marque.

The new M5 seems like nothing more than an overpowered European Cadillac to me - and an ugly one at that.

The pre-Bangle designs such as the E39 and E46 - especially in their M variants - are excellent cars which in my experience have been very reliable given the level of performance they are capable of.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:03 PM
tmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Had an E46 325i touring and it had some issues, but we put like 90k miles on it as a family car.

Had an E46 330i cab as a DD and it was a hoot and I loved it. Traded it for an ordered M3 cab-- big mistake. The E46 M3's engine is ... odd. Also the cab version of the M3 was less fun to drive than the 330i version. It felt like a boat and shouldn't have been called an M3, IMHO. Yuck.

Porsches ever since. But I have a fond spot in my heart for the blue and white roundel.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:06 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

I had a '99 E46--actually two, since the first went back as a lemon with a CEL that the Montvale engineers could never resolve, but it was cool to get 10k free miles when it was replaced. While both cars had serious delivery defects (second one was delivered with a cracked ring), the car really fit me like a glove, and I traded it in only when it needed tires, suspension, and a clutch at 140K. It was reliable and spirited and I even got great mileage, though I had alot of stupid repairs over the years (repeatedly replaced various control arms and bushings and also a big AC repair). I really enjoyed driving that car and overlooked the extra maintenance.
The new E90 turbo is faster than spit, obviously a more engineered car, and so far, no build defects, but it's somehow cold, the suspension can be busy, and it's ergonomics don't fit me as well. And I think the run flats are absolutely stupid. Still, it's a heck of a car. (yeah, these are "little violin" complaints).

Quick Reply: OT: Dissatisfaction with BMW: E90 and E46?