Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does the AWD in the C4S affect handling/balance vs. the C2S?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 02:03 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Seems any conversation about understeer has to include tired conventional wisdom: "Well of course they understeer, anything that drives the front wheels MUST understeer."

Understeer where has to be the question.

How can any car with >60% of it's weight on the rear wheels not understeer under some combination of speed, throttle position and steering angle. If you go out and think you can haul over the wheel and have the front end immediately bite and turn-in in all conditions, you better get some double wishbones to replace the struts and a few bags of cement for the trunk.

If you are that afraid of understeer, you can align the car in such a way that you won't even be able to pull out of your driveway without needing to catch the tail.

Bigger front tires helped. More rear swaybar helped. But aligning the car to suit your needs can accomplish quite a bit.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:05 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
The few guys on the track who run AWD 993's say that they are constantly fighting understeer. None of these have been Moton or JRZ-equipped cars, though.
Friend of mine that did prep his 993 C4S for Club Racing (Moton's and 1000+lb springs) had no issue with understeer, but we did install the GT2 rear sway bar.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:32 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
Friend of mine that did prep his 993 C4S for Club Racing (Moton's and 1000+lb springs) had no issue with understeer, but we did install the GT2 rear sway bar.
Is the GT2 the adjustable blade sway bar?

I'm guessing that a properly-prepped AWD 993 can do pretty well on the track. Understeer is not always a bad thing. If there is any extra understeer in a C4/C4S, it might be a benefit for trail-braking and putting down some really fast times. I know I have gotten faster by dialing in more understeer in my car, resulting in more confidence, all in the pursuit of ending up with a more forgiving, less brittle steed. Of course, "more understeer" is relative to driver ability and a given chassis baseline. If Patrick Long drove my car I'm sure he would smack me upside the head and ask how the eff can I drive such a pushing pig.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:59 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Is the GT2 the adjustable blade sway bar?

I'm guessing that a properly-prepped AWD 993 can do pretty well on the track. Understeer is not always a bad thing. If there is any extra understeer in a C4/C4S, it might be a benefit for trail-braking and putting down some really fast times. I know I have gotten faster by dialing in more understeer in my car, resulting in more confidence, all in the pursuit of ending up with a more forgiving, less brittle steed. Of course, "more understeer" is relative to driver ability and a given chassis baseline. If Patrick Long drove my car I'm sure he would smack me upside the head and ask how the eff can I drive such a pushing pig.

No, it was a larger diameter bar, 2mm thicker than the RS bar.
We had a set of blade bars but it was way to much fabrication to try to get them to work.
http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p93129.htm

I agree that a little bit of understeer on corner entry is a good thing for most of us and it will be faster. My 993 was set up pretty neutral on corner entry and from mid corner on it had a slight oversteer attitude. I had a couple pros drive my car and they liked the balance. I went to far with the rear bar a time or two and it made the car a handful, correcting oversteer at the turn in is not fast, nor much fun.

Quick Reply: How does the AWD in the C4S affect handling/balance vs. the C2S?