Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cab Recall Motor Failures (again)

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 12:10 PM
chet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The socket is what I wasn't seeing in my head. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:30 AM
David Schiff
Instructor

anyone gone full manual with levers and deleted the latching mtrs, but used the housing?
what parts from targa latch work if any? thanks ds
Old 09-28-2007, 09:08 AM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Default Recall/Warranty

The warranty for parts and labor was two years.......in the old days, i.e. a few years ago, all Porsche OEM parts through a Porsche dealer was two years....I had a CCU replaced twice (gratis) in a 993......it failed after previous owner had a Porsche dealer put in a new unit
Old 09-28-2007, 08:52 PM
chet
Instructor

Originally Posted by David Schiff
anyone gone full manual with levers and deleted the latching mtrs, but used the housing?
what parts from targa latch work if any? thanks ds
I saw this question raised before, and looked in the parts catalogue to see what I could tell from that. There is a different part number for the guide that is attached to the windscreen frame for the 964 targa and the 993 cab (which is the same as the 964 cab). That part priced out at 130.20 each for left and right. The 964 targa catch at 177.22 each would have to take the place of the latching motors, and that doesn't include the handle for the catch at 54.37 each. I don't know whether the shim shown in the parts catalogue would be required, or what sort of modifications you would have to make to the frame where the latching motors currently bolt in. A simple bolt in would probably be too much to hope for. After getting the prices, I asked the parts guy at Sunset whether it was possible to retrofit a 964 targa catch in place of the 993 latching motors and was told they have never done it there and he had not heard of it being done, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be done. I decided to give the vertex replacement gear a chance. After two days, mine is back to working like it's supposed to, but I don't have any idea what the longevity of this fix will be.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:24 AM
David Schiff
Instructor

Default latching motors

thanks for the advice and info, best ive seen yet. done the recall, done the gear rotation, have two spare motors and rolling latches. been, thinking of using the rolling latch piece and machining/welding/brazing handles....... still thinking[ slow thinker]
thanks ds
Old 09-30-2007, 11:27 PM
993Cabriolet
Intermediate

Aftr a loooong wait (2 years +) I had the motors replaced by the local dealer. A very good work, they had been working fine since then. (aprox. feb-mar this year). One hint: I had noticed that if you hear the "clicking" sound from the motors you had gone "to far" closing the top. Just "feel' the motors engaging and stop just before the clicks.

Quick Reply: Cab Recall Motor Failures (again)