Sponsored by: DashLynx

993 Gas Smell - Did you fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 10:13 PM
emart
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 Gas Smell - Did you fix it?

I have a 1996 993 C4S that has the problem of the gasoline odor in the trunk. At most times while driving, it also smells faintly of gasoline in the cab of the car. It is most noticeable when the windows are down part or all the way. It is least apparent when the windows are up and the AC is on.

This car is in mint condition with 75k highway miles. I am the third owner. It has been serviced regularly and has never had a major problem that I know of. I have all the service records and know the dealership where the car has been serviced. It had the windshield replaced some time before I bought the car, and the job was poorly done (but the windshield works).

I've searched this forum and have seen some threads on the gas smell which seems to afflict many of the 993 cars. These threads suggested repairs, including replacing gas caps and charcoal filters. I've done nothing yet.

Has anyone successfully repaired this problem? If so, please share how you got it done, or direct me to a solution.

Thanks very much.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:43 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Common problem with the 964...and probably with the 993 too. Gas cap or charcoal canister won't fix this problem. The real problem is the fuel neck. It's an easy and relatively inexpensive fix.

Here is the site.

http://www.porsche964.co.uk/technical/fuel.htm
Old 11-13-2007, 02:04 PM
mfleming
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to say but I had the fuel filler hose replaced by the dealership in my 964 and it did not cure the problem. I have the same, although only occasional, odor problem in my 993 and am still searching for an answer.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:10 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It can also be caused by a faulty gas cap. The sealing ring gets old... on hard cornering gas can come back up into the overflow drain. You get a whiff of gas inside the car.

Doesn't explain smell directly in the trunk. If that is your problem, that won't fix it.

Quick Reply: 993 Gas Smell - Did you fix it?