Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Texas to California

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 11:50 PM
melman911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't pay tax in Texas then when you go to register the car, CA DMV will want proof. Then you get hit with the tax from them before you can register the car.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:56 AM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, I learned rather abruptly about having to pony up the sales tax to register my car (purchased in TX) in GA. That's why I have SUV ride height to this day, damn it...
Old 09-19-2007, 05:39 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by melman911
If you don't pay tax in Texas then when you go to register the car, CA DMV will want proof. Then you get hit with the tax from them before you can register the car.
Maybe be it's the luck of the draw....I didn't have too show proof.

EDIT:Or it's different when you buy out of state and bring in vs. moving to the state.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:38 PM
fullbooker
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If a California resident purchases a vehicle from another state, he pays no sales tax to that state. When he registers the vehicle in CA the DMV here collects the CA sales tax along with the registration fee. There should be NO duplication of sales tax.
Vehicle will have to pass CA smog. Be carefull that CEL light is operable, i.e. comes ON when you turn key on, and goes OFF after you start engine.
I purchased FL car, CEL light never came on (burned out bulb) but smog guy never noticed and passed me. SAI issues can be very troublesome and costly in these cars.
Good Luck!
I

Quick Reply: Texas to California