Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Notes on the 993RS short shift kit install...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 09:43 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You probably need to move the slider tube to the other position. Search for it. You pop off the plastic caps that hold the tube the unit slides upon and reverse them.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:51 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by rol607
My Porsche mechanic at the dealer is struggling with getting everything back together after the install.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but that's pretty sad.

Andreas
Old 05-11-2009, 09:55 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Guys,
When you go to reattach the lower tray, etc the new shifter is LONGER than the original thus needing more room.
My Porsche mechanic at the dealer is struggling with getting everything back together after the install.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Been a while since I did this, but your wrench has something inverted 180 deg. You should not have anything protruding down and the tray should fit back fine.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:57 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm....

I know there are some threads here with pix... hard to find stuff here these days.

In a week or so I will have installation instructions with photos.

ppressle is right though (as is Andreas ), they just need to remove the slider tube in the shift box, flip the grommets that hold that tube in place 180 deg., reinstall slider tube. Then put it all back together.

Good luck!
Old 05-11-2009, 10:05 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys,
When you go to reattach the lower tray, etc the new shifter is LONGER than the original thus needing more room.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Rol, I just saw your thread on the tt forum... this is NOT what needs to be done on your car.

Shoot me an email if you want help... I can talk via phone with you or the shop if you like. It is easy to describe. Just let me know...
fdmotorsports@comcast.net

EDIT: I just remembered I had a pic... see below. This is all that needs to be done. That round tube needs to be in the upper position. They need to remove it and flip those whitish grommets over, then reinstall the tube.
Attached Images  
Old 05-11-2009, 10:34 PM
rol607
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Once again, RL is the place to go!

Thanks guys!

Mark, will send you an email.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:06 PM
jackal2513
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah
ect.

6. I reproduced the feel of the RS shift rod in a very simple manner, and I don't understand why there has been so much discussion of this -- it takes five minutes. The reason why there's slop in the stock rod is not really because of the rubber cushion, but rather because there is open space intentionally designed into the coupler on either side of the rubber cushion (this will make perfect sense when you have it in your hands). What I did is insert washers on both sides of the rubber piece such that when I bolted the coupler back together, all the slop was taken out, and the rubber cushion, instead of acting as a flexible part of the coupler, was sandwiched tightly between both ends of the coupler assembly and now only serves as a vibration dampener. By adding four washers to the coupler, I'd estimate that conservatively I took 85 percent of the slop out of it. And there is NO vibration. Why anyone would pay $450 (or whatever it costs) for the factory RS piece is beyond me.

I did this today and yes the shift feels great but I am wondering if its a viable mod

the problem as I see it is the rubber and the space around the 2 bolts surely allows the shift rod to be moved left and right along the length of the car whilst fixed firmly in one place where it meets the gearbox shift shaft. That's why the RS shift has a U joint there instead.

So by making that couling almost solid, surely you are forcing the shift rod to be bent slightly every time you select 1st, 2nd, 5th or 6th ? That can't be good can it ?

Quick Reply: Notes on the 993RS short shift kit install...