993 Forum 1995-1998

Top End Rebuild ????????

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 12:21 PM
Jack B
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top End Rebuild ????????

I'm looking to purchase a 993. I've found one that has had a top end re-build at around 50,000 miles. It's at 78,000 now. Why would any car, much less a strong Porsche, need a re-build after so few miles? Will it need another one at 100,000? I'm told that the fact that it has been done is a good thing, that re-builds are inevitable. Why? My 95 BMW has 150,000 miles on it and still hasn't needed any major work. I'm new at this. Please help.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:32 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Jack:

Depending on who did the top-end rebuild and precisely what was done, you might have found a real jewel.

These cars have suffered some premature valve guide wear issues and thats what triggers a top-end at such low mileage. You didn't say what year it is, but if its a '96 or later OBD-II car, it might have had some secondary air injection codes that couldn't be cleared.

If that rebuild was done properly and the engine has been maintained the way they are supposed to be, you'll enjoy a very long engine life as long as you take good care of it. Its really all in your hands,...
Old 09-13-2007, 12:38 PM
Paul E. Dodd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Hard to say on this particular car, but you may want to do a search on the secondary air injection (SAI) check engine light (CEL) problem. That'll take a few days to read through all the hits you get.... Some 993's have had their top ends rebuilt because of this problem related to valve guide wear (mine was done at ~80k miles under the factory certified pre-owned warranty). Assuming it was done right (i.e., factory valve guides replaced) this is no bad thing and should prevent its re-occurrence later. These engines are in fact very long-lived in general. In states where smog checks are required a rebuilt top end in a '96-'98 would be a bonus. A nice tight top end and a loose bottom end isn't a bad recipe for power, either (let the lewd comments begin...).

Paul
Old 09-13-2007, 12:39 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that car obviously still has the evil engine tray on it....
Old 09-13-2007, 12:40 PM
Paul E. Dodd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Doh! Need the M030 upgrade to my fingers, Steve beat me to it already.

Paul

Quick Reply: Top End Rebuild ????????