Sponsored by:

Thoughts/opinions on Better Bodies Motorsports bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 12:27 AM
Marco8
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thoughts/opinions on Better Bodies Motorsports bumpers

Came across Better Bodies Motorsports as a possible vendor for my replacement front spoiler/bumper. Anyone on the board have experience with them and the quality of their bumpers?

Thanks in advance.

Marco
Old 09-12-2007, 12:48 AM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

If you do a search, you will probably get a good idea of their reputation. 'nuff said.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:02 AM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeff: have you ever purchased anything from Better Bodies that you’re dissatisfied with or are you siding with the immoral majority (not that this list is ever been dead on with their opinions)?

Marco: What are you looking for? Fitment issues can be resolved w/ most aftermarket body parts.

Even the OEM Porsche parts don't fit like the factory assembly.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:50 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have known the owners & family of Better Bodies for over 20 years and have used 4-5 different body kits in that time including a 993 RSCS biplane wing that I sold to another lister earlier this year who was pleased with the fit and quality, I personally have never had any complaints with the quality or fit.

I have also bought stuff from MA Shaw over the years and can honestly say there is no aftermarket manufacturer that has a direct bolt on solution for any body parts, they all require some fitting.

The reason Better Bodies parts are cheaper than most of the competition is the are manufactured in Tijuana, Mexico and labor is 1/3 of US manufacturers costs, not because they are crap.

ZP44
Old 09-12-2007, 02:09 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

My Better Bodies brake ducts were poorly finished and did not have straight openings (kind of sagged). My body shop was able to rectify some of the issues, but, at least with the pieces that I receieved, they were not of the best quality. That said, they work just fine and were much cheaper, and by virtue of the larger air opening, more effective than the Turbo S ducts that everyone else puts on.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:21 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Marco8
Came across Better Bodies Motorsports as a possible vendor for my replacement front spoiler/bumper. Anyone on the board have experience with them and the quality of their bumpers?...
Just a general comment on OEM vs aftermarket, but for bumpers and splitters fiberglass would not be my first choice for a street car. Would be OK for ducts, hoods, tails, side skirts, etc though.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:26 PM
air eater
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Better Bodies clear front turn signals were finished very nicely. They cut a piece of clear for the cut end, instead of globbing on the silicone as most do.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:32 PM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Agreed on the need for fit and finish work with aftermarket fiberglass. The RS America replica wing that I bought from MA Shaw for my C2 needed a lot of sanding and filling of pin holes (around 5 hours of body shop labor) but is now beautiful. You just need factor in some extra body shop prep time (and expense) with any fiberglass part that you buy for your car.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:14 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by David Ray
Jeff: have you ever purchased anything from Better Bodies that you’re dissatisfied with or are you siding with the immoral majority (not that this list is ever been dead on with their opinions)?. . .
I have a friend who was less than satisfied with the quailty of the tail he purchased from them, but I never said anything bad about Better Bodies because I don't have any direct experience with them. From what I have seen here on this board, many other people have been less than satisfied too. Regardless, one persons opinion or experience doesn't really mean too much, but getting a consensus will give a more accurate picture. That is why I suggested a search.

Food for though: Here is a picture of the front of Alvin's/Atan888 car (IMHO, it is one of the nicest cars on RL) before he put his 'S' Ducts in. I believe that these are Better Bodies Race Ducts. Check out how they fit and make up your own mind.
Attached Images  
Old 09-12-2007, 03:40 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
My Better Bodies brake ducts were poorly finished and did not have straight openings (kind of sagged). My body shop was able to rectify some of the issues, but, at least with the pieces that I receieved, they were not of the best quality. That said, they work just fine and were much cheaper, and by virtue of the larger air opening, more effective than the Turbo S ducts that everyone else puts on.
I have the same ducts and would agree with Mark.
I had to do a fair amount of filing and sanding to improve the fit & finish.
Having said that, they were $89 + shipping and the service was good.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:42 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by 993_Pilot

I believe that these are Better Bodies Race Ducts. Check out how they fit and make up your own mind.
Exactly how mine look. Notice how the center part of the duct bows inward. Not the best quality by any definition, but they were value-priced. You get what you pay for, and I did.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:36 PM
roche
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

i agree as well......i put the ducts (on my old car) and wasn't entirely pleased with the fit. but, for $89, and since my car was black, the "sagging" of the ducts wasn't noticable.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:06 PM
Marco8
Racer

Guys,

Thanks for sharing your experience and opinions on BB. It seems the consensus is BB is not great but not horrible either. For a front bumper, who do you recommend (or have experience with) MAShaw, Getty Designs, OEM etc?

Thanks,

Marco
Old 09-12-2007, 06:12 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

OEM.
Call/email Gert/Viperbob/Steve W/Sunset Porsche etc and get some quotes.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:14 AM
allill
Drifting

Marco,

What bumper do you plan on getting? You really can't beat oem.

Quick Reply: Thoughts/opinions on Better Bodies Motorsports bumpers