Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

OT: Who has an MBA?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 10:11 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 65 Posts

What, only MBA's have value on this board??

BA in Journalism, The Ohio State Universtiy 1997
MFA in Directing, The American Film Institute (AFI) 2005

B
Old 09-14-2007, 12:22 AM
cafebisque
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone asked about the restaurants. I only wish I had sbux. But no, I do have 1 coffee shop, same concept. Cafe Bisque- French American bistro, LIMON - Eclectri Peruvian, and Arvada Grill - opening in November.

Keeping pretty busy these days.

Alex
Old 09-14-2007, 12:32 AM
deep_purple
Instructor

Originally Posted by cafebisque
Someone asked about the restaurants. I only wish I had sbux. But no, I do have 1 coffee shop, same concept. Cafe Bisque- French American bistro, LIMON - Eclectri Peruvian, and Arvada Grill - opening in November.

Keeping pretty busy these days.

Alex
Alex, I really like LIMON - great job! I guess I will need to try the other places as well.

To keep the thread on topic, no MBA here, but could have ended up teaching Operations Management to MBA students... I guess it is still a possibility...

Cheers!
Old 09-14-2007, 10:33 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by B-Line
What, only MBA's have value on this board??

BA in Journalism, The Ohio State Universtiy 1997
MFA in Directing, The American Film Institute (AFI) 2005

B

Has nothing to do with who adds value. Im not downplaying other degrees, or even people without degrees whatsoever.

Im just interested in the diversity of schools and uses for MBA degrees on a board that probably has more than others.

no harm intended.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:48 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 65 Posts

I was being sarcastic... I guess they don't teach that at business school. lol.

B
Old 09-25-2007, 05:04 AM
C4S_fan
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a follow-up... how important is the school (who you know/name recognition) versus the education... I understand that generally these can be correlated (good school implies good education...) but how about less-known school?
Old 09-25-2007, 10:03 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

My Masters is in Systems Management, I know, not an MBA, but still a Masters. Oh yeah, Florida Institute of Technology, 1983
Old 09-25-2007, 10:07 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C4S_fan
Here's a follow-up... how important is the school (who you know/name recognition) versus the education... I understand that generally these can be correlated (good school implies good education...) but how about less-known school?
That's an interesting question. I went to University of Florida, which is typically ranked pretty high in the top schools in the nation - but obviously not an Ivy League or "Tier 1" business school. However, they have some of the best faculty for finance and marketing in the country, by many accounts.

But as someone alluded to earlier, an MBA is mostly about networking and perceived value to employers, and it's tough to compete with the big names in that respect.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:50 PM
88911coupe
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

No MBA, but that brings up a question I'd like to ask...currently enrolled in Graduate Finance Program at SMU (Dallas, TX) and have considered MBA afterwards but at 48 have I waited too long for it to matter? What the latest anyone here got their MBA, or other advanced degree for that matter?
Old 09-26-2007, 07:12 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by 88911coupe
No MBA, but that brings up a question I'd like to ask...currently enrolled in Graduate Finance Program at SMU (Dallas, TX) and have considered MBA afterwards but at 48 have I waited too long for it to matter? What the latest anyone here got their MBA, or other advanced degree for that matter?
That's a very interesting question. I got my MBA at age 26. My gut feel is that if you are 48 years old now, and won't get your MBA until you are 50, or later, then it is more for your own gratification than a smart career move.

To be brutally honest, corporate America is laying off older middle managers because they cost more than young guns. If you try to compete for a managerial position after your MBA degree, you face a distinct age disadvantage. There are of course exceptions, for instance, if you have a technical degree that the company needs to supplement the MBA etc. But even then, there are a lot of MBAs with technical degrees (myself included).

Sorry that my answer may not be what you like to hear, but that's my two cents.

Good luck.

CP
Old 09-26-2007, 07:15 PM
88911coupe
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

That's really what I was thinking and the finance program is reasonably interesting but not even close to the difficulty of an MBA. I'll just keep investing in real estate!
Old 09-27-2007, 04:07 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

I would say that the oldest people in my program are in their early to mid 40s.

Im 24 with 2 years to go.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:19 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Also, most firms that hire MBAs are looking for grinders and will always question whether or not anyone over the age of 30 to 35 is really willing to grind.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:39 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by coltj
If I recall correctly, Santa Clara received that award only because Dartmouth wasn't included in the survery. Playboy didn't think it was fair for pros to compete against amateurs.
probably excluded all of the Wisconsin schools for the same reason
Old 09-27-2007, 05:36 PM
Randy 1
Racer

You certainly face a significant perception disavantage with respect to employers. However, if you're doing it to advance your understanding of certain topics for your entrepreneurial endeavors, or if you're using it to widen your circle of business associates, I'd say it's never too late.

I got a full ride, but it would have been well worth the money. Figure it this way: it's about the same cost as the initiation at a good country club, and the annual donations probably clock in a little under annual dues. Yet you have much better access to hitters who are alumni than any country club could afford you, short of perhaps the Bohemia Club or similar types of organizations.

Quick Reply: OT: Who has an MBA?