Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

do you ever think about trading in your 993?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 11:35 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep it and get a 997.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:35 PM
mii..

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Wow.
Perhaps in a torrential downpour, but otherwise....
I suspect you haven't driven a properly setup 993 - that would leave an A3 in the dust on any track, autocross, or twisty highway.
To a skilled driver the weight distribution of a 911 is not 'off', but rather an advantage, especially compared to a nose-heavy A3.
A3 comes with a 50/50 weight distribution from the factory so I don't think it's nose heavy. In addition, this model was a basic front wheel drive with a beefed up aftermarket turbo, performance chip, modified suspension, and lightweight alloys. This is the only car I have ever driven that was able to do 110 MPH on the twisty canyon by my home. Needless to say, I was very impressed.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:18 PM
creator8
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is your buddy's car the white one running around here? Just met that guy on Sunday morning at Coffee Bean at Laurel and Ventura. Nicely modded car. Stock A3s are very well balanced and I'm sure with some coilovers and a chip is very easy to run hard.

I know this is the 993 Forum but some of you guys, especially for being "car guys" are heavily blinkered as to what is out there. There really are some great cars out there.

A quick sample of some notable new cars I've driven in the last couple of months:

Infiniti G37 Coupe -- definitely goes toe to toe w/ the 3 series and for about $10k less similarly optioned.
Nissan 350Z Nismo Edition -- factory track car. Seam welded, lightened and w/ track tuned aero and suspension -- a pretty special car. Did 1000 miles of Cali backroads in a couple of days and it rocked.
Audi A3 2.0T FWD -- worth a look if you want a compact car with some class, performance and economy
Volvo C30 -- serious visual presence and amazingly well put together. No canyon rocket but a nice ride.
Audi S6 -- switch it to sport and it shrinks in size and will run a canyon as hard as a tuned STI. Goes from lux cruiser to raw edge at the kick of the throttle. If you have family and just have to have one car this is it. Oh and it has that V10 F1 wail on gas.
Audi R8 -- sell a kidney, first born, whatever. Audi have built the perfect car. Believe the hype. 1.3 secs faster than a 997 GT3 on EVO Mags test track!! And totally daily driveable.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:27 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by miishmiish
A3 comes with a 50/50 weight distribution from the factory so I don't think it's nose heavy. In addition, this model was a basic front wheel drive with a beefed up aftermarket turbo, performance chip, modified suspension, and lightweight alloys. This is the only car I have ever driven that was able to do 110 MPH on the twisty canyon by my home. Needless to say, I was very impressed.
Front: 61%
Rear: 39%

I've driven the A3/A4/A6 and while they are excellent cars in their own right, they all push like pigs at the limit. You can't get around physics when you put more weight in the nose.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:05 PM
CentralCoastC4S
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nobody can argue that there aren't some great cars out there that perform,
look good and do a lot of things well. I also think that Porsche got it right
on some models and not so right on others. The 993 just happens to be
one they really nailed. It's really stood the test of time. I have 911's of almost every year except 964's and the 993 just seems like they got it right.
I agree, some of the water-pumpers are great cars too but I just can't make myself consider selling the C4S. It's set up just right, fast enough for most daily driving and it looks great. It's a keeper but I do look around sometimes.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:41 PM
901aero
Burning Brakes

I think the important thing to remember here is no one car can be all things to all people.

That is probably why many of us here own more than one car. I've heard guys in the club bitch about how the ride in the 993 is too hard. Or how this guys wife won't ride in the car because there's no cup holders. The 993 is a sports car not a car with a sporty image.

When I bought a 55 year old british motorcycle the guy told me "don't try to make it into the ride you want it to be but rather enjoy the ride it is." How right he was.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:16 PM
Derek_C
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My DD is a 05'(new body style or C6 for my fellow Audi folk) A6 with the 4.2 V8. Great for day to day and AWD is great with snow tires here in the midwest. Still, doesn't do what my 993 does for me esp. since it's a cab. Had a 01' Audi S4 before I had the 993. Great car but sort of a compromise car that worked for me at the time because I couldn't afford both. Once I had the 993 a couple of years, it 'allowed' me to get the A6 and not feel so compromised.

Now, I'm start looking for a primarily track/DE car. I would like a car with a roof for this new to me experience. But I will be keeping my 993 either way. BTW, track cars being considered are 2002/3 996 coupe, used 06' cayman s, used 06' Z4 M, used exige S, used 06' corvette Z51. I'd say I have a german slant to my preferences but not married to them.

Derek
Old 09-14-2007, 07:39 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

993's are classic and everything that goes with that status. They are a beautiful piece of Porsche history but progress marches on. They are getting on in years and are not the ultimate driving machine today. Many newer sports cars surpass the 993's performance in one way or another.

So what? It is still an inconic car. If that's what floats your boat and you own one, great, you should be very happy. For me, I think my fantasy of owning a 993 was better than the reality, so I no longer own one. Involved many factors. FYI, same with the 930. Both still gorgeous cars!
Old 09-14-2007, 08:59 PM
tdub
Instructor

The beauty of the 911 is the weight distribution. When you brake you acheive a 50\50 balance ( depending on th degree of braking).
someone did their homework.

tw

Quick Reply: do you ever think about trading in your 993?