Tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 01:29 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Tire wear

For the second time in 10 years, I have let the rear tires wear to the thread unknowingly (i.e. dumb). The fronts are perfect. On one occasion I was on an interstate on Christmas eve when the right rear blew and I got the car under control. Most recently, I had a flat in the garage. Each time both rears were worn deeply but evenly on the inside while the tread was almost intact on the outside. I am fastidious about maintaining tire pressure (36 F/R on 17s) and balancing. What is this wear pattern due to: alignment, inflation? I do not track the car.

Any informed input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:05 PM
Pete
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman
For the second time in 10 years, I have let the rear tires wear to the thread unknowingly (i.e. dumb). The fronts are perfect. On one occasion I was on an interstate on Christmas eve when the right rear blew and I got the car under control. Most recently, I had a flat in the garage. Each time both rears were worn deeply but evenly on the inside while the tread was almost intact on the outside. I am fastidious about maintaining tire pressure (36 F/R on 17s) and balancing. What is this wear pattern due to: alignment, inflation? I do not track the car.

Any informed input would be greatly appreciated.
freeman,

I know this is heresy on this board, but Bruce Anderson says in his market updates for 993s that one of the most common complaints on '95 993s is rapid rear tire wear which he says can be alleviated by aligning the rear suspension to '96 and later specs. I have no way to confirm or deny this or even know if it is possible but the way you describe the tread wear sure sounds like alignment to me and not inflation or balance. At the very least I would have the rear alignment checked per '95 specs or go to '96 specs if you can confirm that Bruce is correct. Your problem sounds like a camber issue to me.

Pete
Old 09-09-2007, 04:42 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

pete-
I emailed Bruce Anderson. Thank you so much./m
Old 09-09-2007, 08:17 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 903 Likes on 543 Posts

If you do most of your driving in a straight line with too much negative camber, this happens. We wish we were mostly canyon carving, but reality is, we are just getting from A to B.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:32 PM
Pete
Instructor

Originally Posted by freeman
pete-
I emailed Bruce Anderson. Thank you so much./m
freeman,

You're welcome, hope I could help. Please let us know if he replies and what he has to say about it.

Pete
Old 09-09-2007, 10:39 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
If you do most of your driving in a straight line with too much negative camber, this happens.
+1

My ContiSportContact2s are showing wear on the insides as well - but it's even side to side. I drive the car in a vigorous fashion and have just under 10,000 miles on this set. My driving includes the occasional tail-out slide........

Andreas
Old 09-10-2007, 01:22 AM
raycm
Instructor

The 95's had a spec for rear toe-in double the value of later years. That number was reduced to equal the later value by Porsche after the 95 model year. The rolling resistance with the 95 spec makes it obvious why the rear tires wear so much quicker. However the rear control arms were also changed in 96. Some 95's will get rear bump steer with less toe-in. A search of this forum will give more info. I reduced my rear toe and am satisfied.

Ray

Quick Reply: Tire wear