Default Bay Area LIDAR video

Saw this video over on Fchat......Good Luck

http://www.kqed.org/quest/television/view/287
Old 09-06-2007, 10:27 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 147 Posts

Cops are great! While they are sitting there eating doughnuts and preventing people form killing others by going 10 mph over the ridiculously low speed limit 20 other people are putting on makeup, eating, texting, talking on there cell phones and basically just driving with their heads up their a$$es.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:39 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
Cops are great! While they are sitting there eating doughnuts and preventing people form killing others by going 10 mph over the ridiculously low speed limit 20 other people are putting on makeup, eating, texting, talking on there cell phones and basically just driving with their heads up their a$$es.
+1

I have a friend in the force and he says that even though there is no official word about who brings in the most tickets ($$$), it is a well known fact that those that do are the ones that get the promotions. It's all about the revenue...all in the name of safety of course.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:03 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Cactus...well said. Add one: fatigue. Not against the law but scary as hell.

The video said 40,000 deaths per year...but how many attributable to speed vs. speed and some other factor?

Donut eaters....
Old 09-06-2007, 11:12 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 147 Posts

I have a 15 minute commute to work one way and I see the stupidest **** imaginable in those short 30 minutes each day. No cops around when all this is going on of course because there are no bridges or trees to hide behind. I just leave my 9 in the garage because i would get no enjoyment out of trying to avoid the chaos.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:21 PM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Did you notice that when there are multiple cars you have better chance of not getting caught?
another reason to avoid the bay area...
Old 09-06-2007, 11:51 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I was talking to a F-car guy who had 3 diffusers installed on his car. He claimed, that under some statute or another, it was perfectly legal. Maybe a good idea for those of you who drive 45 in a 35 in the bay area.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:53 PM
avidtest
Racer

Although the officer in the video appeared to be a bit of a ****, by and large, most/many are only doing what our lawmakers require them to do. Unfortunately, with a growing population, each states' need for an ever increasing amount of revenue, the often sub-standard condition of our roadways, the need for fuel preservation, and politicians who will continue only to do what keeps them in office, regardless of whether it makes sense or not, the likelihood of our driving laws changing for the betterment/enjoyment of the driver are unlikely to change.

In the meantime, I keep my Passport on, my spidey senses on full alert, and my eyes on the road, on-ramps, rear view and side view mirrors.

On a semi-related note, I was in the Carlsbad mall parking lot yesterday (uggghh) and I saw a young driver in a Toyota Scion tC speeding through at about 70 mph. This was on the little parking lot road that circles the mall - about 15 feet from the building. He blew by three stop signs and nearly hit a pedestrian. Thank God there wasn't a mother pushing her baby in a stroller across one of the cross walks. Unfortunately, I couldn't get his plate#. He deserved jail time, the loss of his driving privileges and a good beating.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:40 AM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Its crazy...I was rolling on my way to work in my Forerunner and some jackass in his brand new (used) Range Rover with no plates thinks he's driving a sportscar and is weaving in/out of traffic and basically cutting people off on the 101 freeway. Eventually donkey-man catches up to me and becomes boxed in on my right (two lane section of roadway). The car in front of him that he is basically bumper to bumper with pulls ahead a bit and he has (less than) enough room to squeeze between that car and me as he moves into my lane. If it wasn't for a nice clear area of shoulder between my lane and the guardrail I'd have wrecked badly. I immediately called CHP and gave a full description of the vehicle and location deciding that would be better than chasing him down and beating the **** out of him and his shiny new overpriced piece of crap with my hockey stick. About 5 minutes up the road a CHP motorcycle is sitting there shooting people with a LIDAR gun. Real nice job CHP dispatch. I know he was unlikely to have left the freeway before reaching Poncharello because I saw him on another day and he continued on past where the CHP was sitting the previous day. The guy was still tailgating but much more under control. That is exactly the kind of person that gets others killed. Since I was aware of what was going on because I saw him weaving back behind me I was ready to react even though his manuevre was unexpected. Do that to some old lady with poor vision, reflexes etc. and its a recipe for disaster on that stretch of road...lots of large drop offs over the side near Summerland. My friggin bloodpressure went up all over again when I saw that clown. Now that I got that off my chest can somebody tell me what was this thread all about again?
Old 09-07-2007, 01:31 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man when stuff like that happens, why not just slow down and let the jerk steer clear of you? I mean you were scoping him out for a while, you knew he was going to cut you off. I'm just saying. That's what I do.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:47 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know if city police cars/bikes also have signal repeaters/boosters, or it just highway patrol cars?
Old 09-07-2007, 02:03 AM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

T911,
I honestly didn't expect such an erratic move into my lane like that or I would have let him by. The car in front of him slowed for no apparent reason as the freeway goes uphill in that section or he would have been by me in a flash. I generally do let people like that go by but this guy was just plain unpredictable and with heavy traffic I didn't have a whole lot of choices.

Dave in LA,
Looking for a fool-proof alternative to detecting fuzz? Hopefully my V1 will go off when the LIDAR is used up ahead of me. Sounds like they have to be stationary to use the system?
Old 09-07-2007, 11:34 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi 2ndof2,
Welcome to my world.
If you have time - you can read my story...

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/335186-fate-long-posting.html

Gerry
Old 09-07-2007, 06:39 PM
96C4S
Burning Brakes

The key is to group speed.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:03 PM
YellowBull
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
T911,
Hopefully my V1 will go off when the LIDAR is used up ahead of me. Sounds like they have to be stationary to use the system?
Very unlikely, as we discussed this issue thoroughly on the Fchat thread. The beam of lidar is very narrow relative to radar. Therefore, the scatter is almost nonexistent and you would not even detect it if the car in front of you was being shot at. Basically, your V1 wouldn't go off until it was too late.

Quick Reply: Bay Area LIDAR video