993 Forum 1995-1998

Moving to Columbus

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 10:03 PM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to Columbus

Well after many months in the process I have accepted a new position in Columbus, Ohio. So the first week of October I make the move from central Illinois. I'm looking forward to the change and getting a little closer to some terrain again and hopefully some better roads. Mid Ohio will be close by and I'm hoping to get the 993 out there for my first DE after I get settled.

So, any Rennlisters in the Columbus area? And any suggestions on a good independent wrench in the area would be great. I need to get some regular maintenance done after I get there and I've been lucky to have a great guy here I hate to loose. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:19 PM
Jetmech
Racer

There are a bunch in Dayton/Cincinnati area...Columbus I am sure, just dont' know any "yet"....as an newly appointed driving instructor, I encourage you to get out on the track and learn good sound basic for what will be years of pure fun.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:54 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 65 Posts

Hey Andy,

I lived in Columbus for a few years when I attended Ohio State. GO BUCKS !!!

I wasn't in the financial position to own a Porsche then, so I can't really help you there. But, I sure did eat.
There is a terriffic deli in the German Village called Katzingers.... It's great and you must eat there. There was also a pretty good italian fusion place called Lindey's but I forgot where it is.

I don't know if you're a big football fan, but the best thing to do in Columbus is to get season tickets in the horse shoe and cheer on the Bucks. The stadium sits over 100,000 and is simply amazing.

B
Old 09-05-2007, 11:27 PM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

Thanks Jet. I'm looking forward to getting out and building some skills behind the wheel. I've done some autocross which has been a lot of fun. But I'm ready to get it on the track soon.

B, I'm definitely looking forward to watching some football. I played Division III ball in college and I can't wait to see a big game in the horseshoe. It is one of the legendary places in college football. I think the tough thing will be finding a ticket. Although the Michigan game may be a little easier to get a hold of this year. Thanks for the tips on restaurants. We will give them a try. Thanks guys.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:54 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 294 Likes on 191 Posts

Andy, There are actually quite a few 'listers in columbus, but I don't know any 993 owners. I have an RSA clone and there are a lot of 944 turbo owners. There are a lot of good people out here. Drop me a pm when you get here if you feel like it, we try to go on at least one interesting drive per year.
As far as a mechanic goes... I would talk to Dave from The North End Wrench. His shop is the best bang for your buck in this area as far as I'm concerned. More importantly he's honest and practical.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Good luck in your new job, Andy! I guess real estate is on the furthest of the backburners?
Old 09-07-2007, 03:15 PM
Brett B
Advanced

Hi Andy, I'm in Columbus, welcome to the area. I don't see many 993's around so it will be cool having another one in town. Shoot me a PM and I can help you out with the local shops or anything else you need.

Brett
Old 09-07-2007, 04:37 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Avoid Auto Assets. There is a great independent in the Columbus area but his name is not coming to me right now. When it does, I'll send you a PM.

I am in Columbus alot for work, Buckeye home game weekends and general social activities. OSU and Capital Law grad so I've done my time there. Seems to change monthly with all the new construction going on.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:31 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

There is a great guy in Cinn., I think his name is Ken Farhler. I went to his shop a few years ago for a PPI with a friend, and he was very capable and locally respected. I know some good people in Toledo, but that is a haul for you. Also, the best shop I know is Eric Steinel, but he is in Cleveland. He has done a lot of work for me, and I have always been very pleased, after the sticker shock wore off.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:00 AM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

Wow, thanks for all the leads on a wrench guys. A lot more options than I've got now. I'll check them out. I've got a 60,000 mile service due when I get out there and I probably won't have access to my tools for a bit. I will drop you guys some PMs when I get in the area and see about getting together. I'm always up for a good weekend drive. Thanks a lot.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:03 AM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Good luck in your new job, Andy! I guess real estate is on the furthest of the backburners?
Hi Mark! Yes, real estate is going to wait for a while. At least as my primary job for now. I think I've found a good opportunity that I need to take advantage of. I'll drop you a PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:31 PM
Brett B
Advanced

Originally Posted by John H
Avoid Auto Assets. There is a great independent in the Columbus area but his name is not coming to me right now. When it does, I'll send you a PM.

I am in Columbus alot for work, Buckeye home game weekends and general social activities. OSU and Capital Law grad so I've done my time there. Seems to change monthly with all the new construction going on.

Are you talking about Gary Aliff (former AA employee who does side work at home) or somebody else? Gary is a good guy and very knowledgeable, I would definitely trust him to work on my own car. I worked at AA as a tech many years ago but haven’t had any contact with them for quite some time. I do not think they are a bad shop but I know why some may prefer to take their car elsewhere.

I had an alignment with kinematic toe done at Steinel’s. They were very friendly and thorough, they even loaned me a vehicle so I could go grab lunch while I waited. I was pleased with the work, but yes they were quite pricey as somebody else mentioned.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:23 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ed Pimm.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:25 AM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John H
Ed Pimm.
Thanks John. Do you have a number for Ed? I'm going to be in Columbus this weekend looking for some housing and might look him up.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:46 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

"Trust your car to EPR"
614-873-3401

EPR Automotive
7972 McKitrick Rd
Plain City, OH 43064

Quick Reply: Moving to Columbus