Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Good hoses, hose reels and towels to clean your 993 - Griot's worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 05:38 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts
Default Good hoses, hose reels and towels to clean your 993 - Griot's worth the money?

I'm sick of replacing water hoses from Home Depot (I buy the best they sell but they still stink and don't last long). I always get these catalogs from Griot's Garage and love looking at all the expensive items I would never buy. I thought last night "Hmm, maybe I'll spend the big bucks and buy their 100 ft hose (but ouch, $69.95 for a hose?) Is this hose worth the money?

"NON LEAKING, HIGH FLOW GARDEN HOSE. THIS IS THE LAST HOSE YOU'LL EVER BUY!
There is nothing worse than connecting a hose and having it leak. With your normal "garden variety" hose, the couplings are "thin wall" and seem to disfigure just by dropping them. After this happens, slightly bent couplings will never seal properly, causing the hose to leak. Run over your hose couplings lately? I did with these just so I could see if they would actually screw together afterwards. They did. No leaks, either. Hex fittings on the end so you can tighten them with a wrench. Freeze it, run over it, beat on it. This hose can take it. Also great for pressure washers where the suction created from the pressure pump can actually collapse the walls of a lesser hose. (If you are having problems with water moving through your pump, this should cure it.) Our 3/4" ID (inner diameter) hose flows 300% more water (26 gpm) than a 1/2" ID hose does. 50 feet long. Quality made and imported. A free Pistol Grip Nozzle is included with your Professional Water Hose. A $9.99 value!"

Then I need a nice, long lasting hose reel. I'm not looking forward to attaching anything to the side of my house so I'm looking for something that is free standing like this cheap one from Target (you can just see it peaking out behind my wife's old car). I want a NICE, non plastic, hose reel now.

I looked at this...though it's sort of weird looking and is $189. The good thing is it doesn't need to be attached to the wall or floor which I like:

"A PROFESSIONAL WATER HOSE AND HOSE REEL CART THAT MAKES TRANSPORTING HEAVY HOSES A WALK IN THE PARK
Rolling up a hose and carrying it around the yard is a "reel" pain. Don't underestimate the weight of a 100-foot water-filled hose! Put an end to bending over, or dragging the hose to Timbuktu! Our rugged, Industrial Hose Reel & Cart is made of die-cast aluminum and covered in super-tough, "powder coated" paint for years of good looks. It will never rust! The pneumatic tires are 10" diameter to easily roll over any surface and won't sink into wet, soft turf. Reeling the hose in is effortless too; even when filled with water! Includes a 5/8" "water source" connecting hose made of high grade rubber. You can store up to 100 feet of 5/8" hose on this reel! It's pictured with our awesome 5/8" ID (inside diameter) Industrial 100' Water Hose. Freeze it, run over it, beat on it. This hose can take it. Compare ours to your normal "garden variety" hose and you'll see our couplings are made from solid brass and have hex fittings so you can tighten them with a wrench, vs. stamped "thin wall" couplings that disfigure just by dropping them! Our 3/4" ID hose flows 300% more water (26 gpm) than a 1/2" hose does. 50 foot or 100 foot lengths available and sold separately. Please allow 2 - 3 weeks for standard delivery of Industrial Hose Reel And Cart. Add $15.00 to normal shipping charges due to weight."

Then there's this one, but it seems like it has to be attached to the wall. I'm not really up for attaching something to my house, but it DOES retract which is a good thing. I wish the standing one retracted like this...
$179

"YOU'LL NEVER FIGHT WITH A TANGLED HOSE AGAIN USING THIS SELF-RETRACTING HOSE REEL
This reel will look great around your home. The natural color ensures it won't stand out against your house siding. Built around a tough U.V. stabilized polypropylene case so it will never rust. A mounting bracket is included so you can put it on the side of a wall and quickly remove it and transport it anywhere. The rewind mechanism is made from high grade spring steel and is lubricated and sealed for long, trouble-free service. It features a unique winding system that automatically layers the hose back and forth across the reel. This ensures the hose coils smoothly every time. There's a latching mode switch which allows you to choose from a free-run for rewinding or a locking catch every 3 feet for exact length. The flat base allows it to stand on it's own for use around your yard. The large, comfortable carrying handle is molded into the top. The reel swivels 135° (side to side) for easy pull out and retraction. A locking brace may be used to keep the mounting angle in one of seven different locations. The reel houses 60 feet of 5/8" diameter hose. Includes a water source hose that connects to the reel and fits onto your faucet. Easily mounts in minutes. Made in the U.S.A."

Also, are these worth it? I just use the chenille cottons ones now...

"A SUPER-SOFT MICRO FIBER WASH MITT OR PAD THAT'S GENTLE ON YOUR PAINT AND RINSES FREE OF DIRT WITH A QUICK SHAKE!
This is BY FAR the greatest wash mitt on the planet! Use it once, and you'll understand the benefits of this style of micro fiber, that allows the mitt to hold much more water yet rinses totally clean with a quick shake in your bucket. Hundreds of tightly twisted strands are super-soft and extra-gentle on your paint; while the extra amount of water provides more lubricity across the paint. Plus it's machine washable! Two colors of mitts so you can use one for the dirty parts of the car and one for the hood and glass and roof. (Or one for real dirty SUVs, and one for your prized possession.) Choose from a set of two Wash Pads (my favorite) or a set of two Wash Mitts that have an elastic cuff to hold the mitt on your hand. (Notice it doesn't have a thumb area so it rotates in your hand to use both sides.) 8 1/2" wide by 11" long."

Then there's these towels - I use plain old american 100% cotton towels now. Are these worth it for these microfiber newfangled things? It's weird with the pocket in the towel. Does anyone here recommend these? It seems like the pocket might get in the way...

$26 each
"OUR SUPER ABSORBENT AND EXTRA SOFT DRY TOWEL IS FAST AND SAFE ON YOUR VEHICLE'S FINE PAINT FINISH.
This Micro Fiber, waffle-woven material is guaranteed to become your favorite drying towel. It makes one of those tedious, not-so-fun cleaning chores go by faster and safer. This unique weave lessens the friction on your paint so it's kind and gentle, but still retains all the benefits of absorbing water. We've gone ahead and made the towel in yellow with black trim so everyone in your household will know it's for car drying only. (I have family sit-down meetings on this sort of thing.) In my tests, I'm amazed to report, these towels picked up more water than the 100% cotton towels that I've been selling for the past eleven years. Want another reason to buy them? Take a closer look at the photo above. I've sewn pockets into the towel so it can remain firmly in your hands as you pick up every drop of water quickly and easily. 25" x 35". "

Here's the smaller one for $16.99. They seem pretty small compared to what I use now:

"ULTRA THICK MICRO FIBER TOWEL LIKE YOU'VE NEVER USED BEFORE
During my testing of this towel, I was shocked. After squeegeeing the Suburban, I was able to dry the entire monster with this one towel. Try doing that with any other 16" x 24" towel! One thing you'll notice about this towel is that it is about twice as thick as a regular towel. It feels thick and dense in your hand. Want to dry a car in half the time? Here's how I dry a car now: Take our new Squeegee in one hand, this Ultra Thick Micro Fiber Towel in the other, and swipe and dry!"

This looks kind of cool. I've never used one of these. I plan on ordering one to cut down on wet towels

"THE ULTIMATE PAINT SQUEEGEE WILL REMOVE THE MAJORITY OF YOUR WATER FOR QUICKER DRYING
After one year of testing, on a variety of different cars, paint types, and weather conditions, I introduce to you a safe and quicker way to remove water from the surface of your car. These are hand-made here in the United States of red extruded plastic for years of service. The blade itself is closed cell foam that is super soft on your paint and doesn't screech and squeal like the other water squeegees you've seen. I like the fact it won't slip out of your hand and hit the paint either. Conforms to any contour, unlike other designs. With this squeegee and our new Ultra Thick Micro Fiber Towel, you'll be able to dry a full size Suburban in half the time. That means less water spots will have a chance of forming. For this squeegee to work at its best, have a towel handy and make a quick pass on the blade to dry off excess water. In doing this, you will notice the blade will leave little to no water droplets behind."

Thoughts on these items? Is the hose and reel worth the money? Someone from my bimmerboard recommended this one as being the best hose reel...

http://i-reels.tsbrass.com/products.cfm
"Unmatched Quality. Unrivaled Value. T&S I-Reels.
Since we engineer to meet customer needs, our I-Reels offer benefits that no other manufacturer can. We provide the high-quality, best-in-class features you would expect from a superior industrial hose reel, but with a better value than the competition. I-Reels are heavier-duty, more rust-resistant and longer-lasting than their counterparts because we have custom-engineered them to meet your most grueling demands. T&S targeted the common weaknesses of the typical hose reel so we could offer you a product with reliability built in.

Heavy-grade metal components last longer than typical plastic parts.
Epoxy powder coating is more durable than liquid paint finishes that wear easily.
Stainless steel fasteners reduce corrosion.
Adjustable guide arm and four-roller hose outlet allow smoother operation.

Ahead of the Competition
In rigorous head-to-head testing, T&S consistently ranked well above the competition. With a life cycle greater than most competitor reels, T&S is the clear choice for your industrial hose reel needs."

Man, I'm confused!

Steve R

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 09-04-2007 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:09 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Man, that first one is a nice hose reel. Looks just like a Jag!

Oh, and I always buy Craftsman hoses. Or rather, I did a long time ago. Each hose failed once and I exchanged it for a new one at no cost. The black rubber hoses seem to last a long time.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:19 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just bought one of those self-retracting hose reels from Home Depot, and I have to say, it's pretty damn cool ... turn the lever and the water pressure reels in the hose, while rinsing the dirt off it as it winds. $60!
Old 09-04-2007, 06:29 PM
Smiles
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO, Griot's is unnecessarily expensive. You can compare their Porter Cable orbital polisher with prices elsewhere, even on Amazon.com, to see their premium.

I looked up the same spec hose at www.mcmaster.com (3/4" ID, 50 ft, black EPDM, 125 psi) and it's $39.57. (Part # 7453T18). You can choose longer or shorter, too.

--Matt
Old 09-04-2007, 06:44 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Is this the Home Depot one? It's alot cheaper than Griots...
$64.97

The NO-CRANK Columbus 100 with swivel Hose Reel Is An Innovative Hose Reel Which Utilizes Water Pressure To Rewind Up To 100 Ft. Of 5/8 In . Garden Hose In A Matter Of Moments, With The push of a lever. 360° swivel base that let''s you pull hose in any direction. Built-in hose cleaner, handy hose holder.Floor mountable.The NO-CRANK Columbus 100 with swivel Automatic Hose Reel Carries A 2-Year Warranty Against Defects.

O-CRANK hose reel – hands free rewinding
360° swivel base
Floor mountable
100Ft. Of 5/8In. Hose Capacity
MFG Model # : RS-10105
MFG Part # : RS-10105

Arghhh, it still needs to be mounted on a base, which I don't want to do. I don't really have a base. It just sits on some outdoor cement blocks.

Steve R
Old 09-04-2007, 07:11 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Thoughts on these items? Is the hose and reel worth the money? Someone from my bimmerboard recommended this one as being the best hose reel...

http://i-reels.tsbrass.com/products.cfm
"Unmatched Quality. Unrivaled Value. T&S I-Reels.
Since we engineer to meet customer needs, our I-Reels offer benefits that no other manufacturer can. We provide the high-quality, best-in-class features you would expect from a superior industrial hose reel, but with a better value than the competition. I-Reels are heavier-duty, more rust-resistant and longer-lasting than their counterparts because we have custom-engineered them to meet your most grueling demands. T&S targeted the common weaknesses of the typical hose reel so we could offer you a product with reliability built in.
Man, I'm confused!

Steve R
This is an air hose reel.

I like Sonus microfiber cloths and their drying cloths (der wunder, or something like that). Autopia is where I purchased them but I am sure they are available at all fine detailing outlets...
I use the sonus drying towel after the squeegee and that's it. I picked up my squeegee at a local auto store... this it is the "California" labeled one. The rubber on it is kinda clear and very soft. Wipe it frequently to avoid any little nasty dirt particles scratching your finish. I use this on a Midnight Blue car with fresh paint and no scratches...
Old 09-04-2007, 07:24 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

http://www.properautocare.com/index.html
Old 09-04-2007, 07:29 PM
Svaha
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A huge bag of yellow microfiber towels is $13.89 at Costco.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:49 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Svaha
A huge bag of yellow microfiber towels is $13.89 at Costco.
and that may be for a good quality microfiber towel. Costco does get some great deals.
Be careful of the lesser quality versions. They use some really rigid "thread" to stitch the edges that can and will scratch. Also, the material used to bind the edges can be nasty.

Knowing Costco they are probably really good quality.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:59 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Smiles
IMO, Griot's is unnecessarily expensive. You can compare their Porter Cable orbital polisher with prices elsewhere, even on Amazon.com, to see their premium.
But Richard needs another Ferrari!

(Recycling my own jokes...sorry.)
Old 09-04-2007, 08:07 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like Griots but agree that their stuff is expensive. That, plus they don't make any of their products. They just rebrand other peoples products. I usually buy from autopia's web site but there are lots of detailing web sites that sell.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:10 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

craftsman rubber hose, lasts forever.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:55 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kgorman
craftsman rubber hose, lasts forever.
Thanks for the info, plus, if it messes up, I can return it locally, AND it's $25 less than Griot's.

Craftsman 5/8 in. x 100 ft. All Rubber Hose
Sears item# 07169605000 Mfr. model# 69605
$44.99

Sears doesn't seem to have a portable hose reel like the Griot's one though... this is the only one I see and it's $100 more than the Griot's one! Sears wants $299 for it...

Cactus, thx for the link to the properautocare.com place. The mitts seem to actually cost more than Griot's mitts

and their blade is more too by $8, but maybe it's better?

The drying towels are about the same price too

The thing I like about cotton towels is that I can dry them with all my other car cleaning towels, not having to do them separately. Also, I don't have to worry about drying them with heat by accident. This would be a pain to have to wash separately each time...
"Note: Our new Big Blue III should be washed prior to first time use. Machine wash under "gentle cycle" with cold or warm water and a mild detergent. Do not use bleach or a fabric softener and do not wash with other (cotton) towels. Air dry or spin dry at air temperature (no heat). "

I'll have to weigh these options.

Steve R
Old 09-04-2007, 10:00 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Steve,

Try Grainger: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...L1=Water+Hoses
Old 09-04-2007, 10:17 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve

I have the green wash mitt you posted above and I got it locally (pretty sure it was at advanced auto). It works very well and I was my black 993 with it, so far with good success but I rinse it constantly while washing.

I have the black hose posted in your first post that I got....wow....I think 4 years ago at home depot and it NEVER kinks. It gets left outside, run over, used for lots of things, and its never given me a fit. The only drawback is when it gets tangled within itself its nearly impossible to pull and straighten out, you have to put it down and go untangle it which can be a chore since it sticks to itself.

I also have the water blade that was posted in your last post and I would caution you against it. It works well, and while its never scratched my Subaru (that I can tell) there is just something wrong about using it on the 993 I think. I'm paranoid about it for some reason. If you're going to buy one, buy the red/black one you posted first, I like its description much better than the "california water blade" thats posted in your latter post.

You can get good quality stuff without breaking the bank, but don't buy the wal-mart garbage.

Quick Reply: Good hoses, hose reels and towels to clean your 993 - Griot's worth the money?