Sponsored by:

Help needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007 | 06:51 PM
smilyduck
5th Gear

Unhappy Help needed

I am the proud owner of a 993 4s.
I just love the car but I want more power...

I could sell the car and buy a 993 turbo.
I think the line of the 4s without the spoiler is a lot more elegant than the turbo. This is kind of holding me off buying a turbo.

I have never driven a 933 turbo and would like to know how it compares with a NA.
I would love to know your views.

I could also go and see 9m and have those 9m heads fitted(10k) and get mk1 power(360bhp).

I don't know what to do...
Old 09-03-2007 | 06:59 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

How about some pictures of youe C4S and what is your location?

My thoughts are that you should drive a 993TT and see if it makes having the tail worth it for you. Another choice might be to add the TPC supercharger... but I'm guessing you can't use the retractable spoiler with that either. If the 993TT doesn't make it for you than you can sink a lot of money into your car to try to add bits of power. Here's the rub... you get very little, if any, of that upgrade expense back at resale time.

I have driven both a C4S and a stock 993TT... they do not compare. The C4S is great, but not a thrill... the 993TT simply knocks your socks off.
Old 09-03-2007 | 07:11 PM
smilyduck
5th Gear

Old 09-03-2007 | 07:29 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Very nice. I can see why you would want to keep it.
Old 09-03-2007 | 07:29 PM
Denise993
Pro

[QUOTE=smilyduck;4539144]I am the proud owner of a 993 4s.
I just love the car but I want more power...QUOTE]

I've got a TPC supercharger which gives me about 400hp and 400lbs. torque. It's got plenty of power! It looks like you are in the UK. I don't have a clue if you can get one installed over there. I'm sure the guys at TPC could tell you if they have a certified installer across the pond. It was installed about 25,000 miles ago and according to my file of receipts, there have not been any problems.

http://www.tpcracing.us/
Attached Images  
Old 09-03-2007 | 07:50 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

As Denise's photo shows... you CAN keep your retractable rear spoiler with the TPC... this may be a very viable option for you.

Why did you want to delete?
Old 09-03-2007 | 08:02 PM
smilyduck
5th Gear

I messed up with the pics urls this is why I delete the previous post...

Does the supercharger introduce lag? Is there a big lag with the turbo also? The advantage of the 9m heads is that it stays NA. I guess I will have to try a turbo, This is the only way to know...

In my opinion the 993 s is pure beauty (but not be the beast). Such a gentlemen car...
Old 09-03-2007 | 08:04 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Denise993,
Where in NoVA are you? I have a TPC SC on mine and love it!!!!!! The car is currently in 'the shop' getting a new roof put on and othe upgrades put on ( EURO TT front and rear bumper skins and RS style wing). Hope to get it back before the New Year. It has been a long process. Maybe we can get together then?

I have not driven at TT, but I am very impressed with the instant hp that the SC gives. Do you have TPC's new computer? I see you are not running their intercooler. Do you have any issues with engine pinging at WOT? I may be do the computer upgrade after I get my car back and run it for a while.

Best of Luck!!!! George B.
Old 09-03-2007 | 08:15 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Smily,

The TPC supercharger is of "positve displacement" type rather than centrifugal. This means it will have great bottom end response, and should have zero lag. The 993TT have two small turbos, and they deliver their power with little lag and in a very linear fashion. The question is can the 993 NA engine with its high compression be reliable with that extra boost? The TT uses a very low compression for that reliability. This may be a theoretical rather than real issue... several TPC owners report nothing but great results.
Old 09-03-2007 | 08:22 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

As Steve says, you have to drive the 993tt. I thought about getting a 993C2S and drove a few but the turbo's a different animal. One warning though, if you drive one, it's very hard to go back/be satisfied with NA.
Old 09-03-2007 | 09:45 PM
Denise993
Pro

Originally Posted by mr_bock
Denise993,
Where in NoVA are you? I have a TPC SC on mine and love it!!!!!! The car is currently in 'the shop' getting a new roof put on and othe upgrades put on ( EURO TT front and rear bumper skins and RS style wing). Hope to get it back before the New Year. It has been a long process. Maybe we can get together then?

I have not driven at TT, but I am very impressed with the instant hp that the SC gives. Do you have TPC's new computer? I see you are not running their intercooler. Do you have any issues with engine pinging at WOT? I may be do the computer upgrade after I get my car back and run it for a while.

Hi George,
I'm in the Falls Church area. I just got my 993 in April. According to my receipts, I don't appear to have TPC's new computer. No intercooler... so far I haven't noticed any pinging... It stinks that you don't have your car and may not have it back for a while... how frustrating.

Do you go to any PCA events?

There is a thread from a user named Marlon... he's thinking of adding a TPC SC. Check out the thread titled something about a "slippery slope" ... it's interesting how many diverse opinions there are on SCs. I LOVE mine!
Old 09-04-2007 | 11:38 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Default wow - another one!

Originally Posted by mr_bock
Denise993,

George - I live in Farifax Station and would love to see your car when you get it back. Denise mentioned a tech day at ASG in OCT - why don;t you plan to come!?

mar
Old 09-04-2007 | 04:40 PM
smilyduck
5th Gear

Thanks for the help guys.

I will try to test drive a 993 turbo ASAP so I can get it out of my system
I will also try to get into a 993 NA with 9m heads so I can see the difference.

Best way to know is to try....
Old 09-05-2007 | 08:51 AM
irisblue
AutoX

An interesting subject... i have a normaly aspirated 993 2wd and would also love power and torque.
A freind has 993TT, in short bloody awesome i want one!...
Im in Australia, and over here a few things have been done to up the output, ECU chips & exhaust being the more common resulting in more hp & torque, most producing about 300hp with a flater torque curve. I have heard of 9m (seen adds in mags) are they really getting 350+hp normaly aspirated???
Ive only ever seen photos of super charge 911's like one in this forum, does the additonal rear blower fan get remove completely??

irisblue
Old 09-05-2007 | 11:30 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Cool If you drive the car a lot....a set of

close ration gears may be just what you need. The car becomes much more fun to drive, and does not bog down in spots as a stock 993 as delivered in USA 993 is known to do. I'd do the mod myself...but it cots about $10,000 US to build and install the tranny.

Also, if you drive a 993 TT car, you will want one and you will not ne happy with your NA car for at least a week or two. I have a personal rule...don't drive 993/996/997 turbo cars.

Quick Reply: Help needed