Sponsored by: DashLynx

A close call

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 06:28 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default A close call

Was cruising along this morning enjoying an incredible day in Santa Barbara heading for one of my favorite coffee houses and noticed a little pulling to the right and some vibration from the steering wheel. Thought it was from letting the car sit a few days and tempary flat spotted tires. Thought that the pull to the right was just the tilt of the road to the right where I was driving. Got out and found a pretty much flat tire. Turns out the rubber valve stem was cracked and leaking. A quick look at the other three showed they were in extremely bad shape. Luckily no incidents (could have ended badly had I been driiving faster) and got to the closest tire shop where the usual hacks worked so quickly my wheels got a few more nicks near the lug nuts. Fortunately I'm not too concerned since a repaint of my wheels is planned. Anyway the point here is not the local hacks but to check the condition of your valve stems, you may be surprised if you haven't inspecteded them very carefully of late.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:28 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

+1
Two of mine already have impressive superficial cracks after only 2 summers of use.
Anyone have a line on metal valve stems?
Old 09-01-2007, 07:51 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks for sharing....this is what makes this board tick!! I will go check mine!!
Old 09-02-2007, 12:18 AM
Tania W
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Must check mine too.. I have the metal Porsche valve caps/stem covers that keep the sun and dirt off them, so they should be ok.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: A close call