993 Forum 1995-1998

Wiper blades won't go off...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 09:40 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Wiper blades won't go off...

All of the sudden, my wiper blades won't go off, they just keep going and going until I shut the car off.

All the 3 speeds work, but the off position keeps the blades working at slow speed. Also, if I move the stalk to the intermittent position, the blades continue working on low speed regardless of what I set the intermittent dial to.

The only way to stop them is to time shutting the car off when they are at their lowest point. If the stalk is in the off position when I start the car again, the blades will stay put, but if I operate them again, they'll continue running until I shut the car off again.

Does it sound like a stalk issue or a bad relay? besides buying a new relay to test, is there another way to isolate the cause?
Old 08-31-2007, 10:47 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cabrio993
All of the sudden, my wiper blades won't go off, they just keep going and going until I shut the car off.

All the 3 speeds work, but the off position keeps the blades working at slow speed. Also, if I move the stalk to the intermittent position, the blades continue working on low speed regardless of what I set the intermittent dial to.

The only way to stop them is to time shutting the car off when they are at their lowest point. If the stalk is in the off position when I start the car again, the blades will stay put, but if I operate them again, they'll continue running until I shut the car off again.

Does it sound like a stalk issue or a bad relay? besides buying a new relay to test, is there another way to isolate the cause?
Maybe the wiper relay is the same as another one in the relay cluster? Let me see if the Streather book depicts the individual relay values. Could be the relay latches 'closed' and will not electrically 'open' when the power comes off???
Old 08-31-2007, 10:56 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Streather book indicates it's R42 but does not indicate if R42 is the same relay as one the other ones so you can swap it out. You can probably look at the relays and find R42 and then just visibly determine if one or more of the other ones looks the same??? You can take a piece of insulated wire and make a fused relay tester and then jump circuit pins under the relay to test the circuit. Harder to explain than it is to do it though.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:31 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

You can pull the relay and still operate the wipers with the stalk control .... that will indicate whether the relay is the issue or not: if they continue to run with the relay absent, the issue is likely in the stalk control.

( the relay pulled is the state in which we leave things to manually park the wipers on the right side vs. the left for LHD cars .... but the intermittant function is sacrificed in this mode)
Old 09-01-2007, 02:50 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Thanks guys!

That gives me something to try. I'll pull R42 and see if the wipers stop and I loose the intermitent function.

If pulling the relay does the opposite of what it's doing now, the most likely it's just the relay and not the stalk - I'm hoping anyways.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:45 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Update....

I just went to the garage and tried duplicating the problem and now everything works perfectly!!
Old 09-01-2007, 05:22 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

You obviously pulled it the right way ...

Quick Reply: Wiper blades won't go off...