Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sliding...nee, 'Free fall' down the slippery slope...!??!?!! Requesting consultation.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 08:25 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sliding...nee, 'Free fall' down the slippery slope...!??!?!! Requesting consultation.

OK here it is: Back in my previous SC & 3.2 days I sort of always secretly lusted for a supercharger system - kind of safe, stealth power. I think a company called Tennessee-something did them back then. Never did it - had to get a turbo tail to do it I think.

Fast-forward to now. We have a new R-lister coming on board soon that has a TPC system on a Cab. I enquired about it (she is local) and discussed it with Taylor at ASG since ASG is a TPC licensed installer (I did not know that). Anyway, according to Taylor the system makes almost 100Hp and is quite benign on the engine.
- No access issues for routine maintenance, it does not 'fill up' the engine compartment and actually provides 'more' access because the airbox is removed.

- 95 is actually a very good year to do the mod since it is nonVarioram:^)

- no extra heat generated, it does not produce excessive heat to operate
- the only negative impact to gas milage is the 'heavy foot factor'

- due to the nature of supercharging, the power is instant. No lag - so you can "zoom" between Zero and posted speed limits as opposed to a turbo car that you gotta wind up a little and before you know it, you are getting the 'rush' well outside the speedlimit thereby setting yourself up for the risk of flashing bluelight scrutiny.
- ASG can install it as opposed to taking the car 'all the way' to Maryland

- 993 brakes and powertrain are up to the task and the 993 itself has enough inherent strength and poise for the mod to not 'overwhelm' the car. (I already have a set of 18" wheels and my brakes are fresh)

- Time to sell the car? Simply remove it and reinstall the odds and ends that you saved from the initial install.

- Provided that the host engine is healthy (good leakdown), it does not stress the engine appreciably and you do not have to fiddle with changing the engine compression ratio to install.

- Cost is 100 bucks per Hp. To do it right, Streather indicates that 993 Hp cost is about 100 bucks per in his book.

- Very stealthy: street set up uses the stock 993 deck lid and spoiler system. Might be a slight whine during operation.

Guys - I am seriously thinking about doing this. Why spend 60K+ on a tt when the TPC car will give a tt fits??? My car was sub 24K (but does need some stuff: shocks, springs, struts, and some odds and ends)

My wife even approves:

Well sort of:

"Yes you can do it...what are you going to sell...?"

Comments and thoughts appreciated. Buyers of some junk I want to get rid of appreciated even more

Anybody wanna buy a 30" late model Krieghoff over and under shotgun with subgage tubes and Super Scroll wood upgrade - $8.5K

How about a beater coil spring conversion 99' 4.0SE Range Rover - $6K???

How about both as a package even!?!?!

Come on now - do I hear offers???
Old 08-31-2007, 08:30 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 258 Posts

Landjet's SC 993 will be up for sale soon. Buying his may save some bucks..just a thought since you were considering selling yours.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:31 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am interested in following this one through with you.....I know Taylor well and he will do a great and detailed job......so if my math is correct $10K fitted and ready to go??? What do others that have this kit say about it, anybody had one fitted and done appreciable mileage to give some idea of engine upkeep??? keep us locals in touch as you progress
Old 08-31-2007, 08:32 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Tony
I think I would prefer doing this on a car I know well rather than buying one that is already done and has been driven for a while
Old 08-31-2007, 08:46 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Originally Posted by dhicks
I am interested in following this one through with you.....I know Taylor well and he will do a great and detailed job......so if my math is correct $10K fitted and ready to go??? What do others that have this kit say about it, anybody had one fitted and done appreciable mileage to give some idea of engine upkeep??? keep us locals in touch as you progress
Yep that 's the quote. Not interested in buy an SC now that I am spoiled with the 993. I have also concluded that even if I had bought a 60K mile 'stock' car - I would still have to change all the same stuff I'm replacing on my car. Either way to get into a 993 you gotta' consider shelling out another 5K minimum for upkeep. Unless you shell out 35K+. Sort of a Catch-22 either way you look at it. For instance: there's a 95 993 for sale in our classifieds. It has 106K miles - exactly the same miles as my car. It does however have some up upkeep and desireable mods done, and it is priced accordingly at 26K or so almost 5K more than I paid. You 'pay', either way.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:19 AM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

"Yep that 's the quote. Not interested in buy an SC now that I am spoiled with the 993"
I think he means a SuperCharged 993. Job is already done
Good luck and keep us posted. 380HP in a cab would be kind of fun....in a sick way!
Ron
Old 08-31-2007, 10:25 AM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marlon See if you can get a package deal and I'll bring mine down there. Seriously!! I've been dying to do this since day one. I love my cab but do feel it lacks a little giddyup. My car sits all winter so the time is right for me.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:25 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Originally Posted by 95FL993CAB
"Yep that 's the quote. Not interested in buy an SC now that I am spoiled with the 993"
I think he means a SuperCharged 993. Job is already done
Good luck and keep us posted. 380HP in a cab would be kind of fun....in a sick way!
Ron

Oooops - glossed over that post on the way out the door. Probably mod my car since it is a known quantity. The SC 993 I was referring to (Denise) is a cab I think - mine is a coopay. Mabye I misread that post also?

380hp in any 993 would be fun I think.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:27 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Default Let me talk to Taylor...sounds like the GB of the century...

Originally Posted by 993c2cab
Marlon See if you can get a package deal and I'll bring mine down there. Seriously!! I've been dying to do this since day one. I love my cab but do feel it lacks a little giddyup. My car sits all winter so the time is right for me.

What year is your cab?
Old 08-31-2007, 10:28 AM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

95 BABY
Old 08-31-2007, 10:39 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Default perfetto...

Originally Posted by 993c2cab
95 BABY
Taylor said the 95's were optimum for the SC mod.

Hmmmmmm -

Wonder if we could tastefully add "SC" on our Carerra line using the "S" script style. Mabye this could be custom made???
Old 08-31-2007, 11:27 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

Supercharging is cool, but I am under the impression the 'kits' out there arent as refined as one would be led to believe. I thought you were leaving your car stock?

Originally Posted by Marlon
Anyway, according to Taylor the system makes almost 100Hp and is quite benign on the engine.
-IF- you keep the detonation under control

- no extra heat generated, it does not produce excessive heat to operate
Huh? There will be a lot of additional heat generated!

Why spend 60K+ on a tt when the TPC car will give a tt fits???
Drive a TT and you'll quickly understand its capabilities. I really doubt an SC'd 993 would compare to that of a 993 TT.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:00 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Supercharging is cool, but I am under the impression the 'kits' out there arent as refined as one would be led to believe. I thought you were leaving your car stock?

-IF- you keep the detonation under control

Huh? There will be a lot of additional heat generated!

Drive a TT and you'll quickly understand its capabilities. I really doubt an SC'd 993 would compare to that of a 993 TT.
all inputs are welcomed and encouraged!
Old 08-31-2007, 12:08 PM
allill
Drifting

Marlon,

I'm with Chris, I thought you were gonna keep your car stock?
Old 08-31-2007, 12:21 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Stock-schmok. Can put it back to schtock when done

This is a pipe dream anyway - trying to claw my way back up from a part-way slide

Quick Reply: Sliding...nee, 'Free fall' down the slippery slope...!??!?!! Requesting consultation.