Sponsored by:

Broken power seat diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 01:15 PM
fevans
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken power seat diagnosis

How can I be sure that it is the power seat drive shaft that needs to be replaced? One side works, the other is kaput.

Has anyone had a problem with the motor itself? Vertical adjustment is fine on both sides of the seat, if that helps.

Looks like an easy fix, but only want to do it once (at least on that rail).

TIA
Old 08-28-2007, 01:26 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fevans
How can I be sure that it is the power seat drive shaft that needs to be replaced? One side works, the other is kaput.

Has anyone had a problem with the motor itself? Vertical adjustment is fine on both sides of the seat, if that helps.

Looks like an easy fix, but only want to do it once (at least on that rail).

TIA
can you reach under and disconnect the flexi drive shafts??? You can pop off the front fascia plastic and have access to the fore and aft drive shafts right in front of your face. You can also "drive" the shafts with the manual 4mm hex drive. You may have to pull the seat and then disconnect each one until you find the bad shaft. Maybe a bad switch??? (I've had my seats in and out too many times)
Old 08-28-2007, 01:31 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

are you sure it is broke. Sometimes when the seat is moved all the way back with someone in it, it locks in and will not move forward. Just have to get in it and use your wieght to move it forward while pressing the forward button. If the up and down works now, the forward and back should work as well as I believe thay all work from the same servo motor.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:07 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

the cables go bad (stripped)....and often.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:14 PM
fevans
Rennlist Member

Thanks, guys. The seat is in the midrange, and the other side goes both fore and aft. I can't get any movement on the affected side by pushing or pulling. Perhaps using the hex drive will help.

Can anyone confirm Don's point about the same servo motor being responsible for up/down, fore/aft?

Guess I just need to pull the drive shaft on that side and check it out.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:37 PM
quasr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power Seats

Currently there are parts on Ebay to fix a power seat. Some kind of tube and cable. Take a look!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 08-28-2007, 11:20 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by quasr
Currently there are parts on Ebay to fix a power seat. Some kind of tube and cable. Take a look!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...QQcmdZViewItem
Yep - that looks like it. This is an easy job - but you want tomake sure you need that part before you BIN
Old 08-29-2007, 02:07 AM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

yes this is it....you'd also be surprised at how unbelievably easy it is to strip the new one too before that seat moves even a 1/2 inch. Be very careful and slow when first engaging the fore/aft power to ensure the cable is threaded correctly and properly cinched to the motor. A tip to prevent this again is to avoid moving the seat to the extreme fore or aft.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:50 AM
goldcountryboy
Three Wheelin'

It's hard to describe the feeling in your gut when you pay 70 dollars for a new cable and strip it out in the first ten seconds of operation.Fortunatley,I have a friend who fixed both new and old cable.He brazed the stripped end and then filed to size.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:03 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

[QUOTE=goldcountryboy;4504650I have a friend who fixed both new and old cable.He brazed the stripped end and then filed to size.[/QUOTE]

+1 I have fixed many this way. You have to catch it (the cable) before it gets too bad. Maybe try this approach first. AND MAKE SURE WHEN YOU RE-INSTALL THE CABLE IT IS SEATED PROPERLY.

Mike

Quick Reply: Broken power seat diagnosis