Sponsored by:

Oranges Aint Oranges

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 11:02 AM
TargaTango
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oranges Aint Oranges

There was a great add for I think Castrol GTX oil quite a few years ago which played in Australia where a mafia boss castigated his mechanic who was trying to rip his boss off using cheap oils "Sol, oils aint oils". Well Porsche oranges aint oranges. There is a big difference across the colors. Here are some samples from left to right:

Blutorange aka blood orange aka tangerine 018
Signal Orange 116
997 GT3RS Orange 8C6 (in the flesh on a whole car it looked lighter)
Gulf Orange 019

I am not happy with the Gulf Orange which my car was mistakenly painted in. It has a pinkness to it which I do not find appealing. I think this would be fine surrounded by all that pastel blue on the racing cars, but on a whole car it is not to my taste.

I have decided against the 997 GT3RS orange I had originally chosen given its current popularity and will go with something subtle - so the respray will be Blutorange . I have never seen a car with this color in the flesh, only ones in photos. It should be interesting. I am not sure whether the color is more red than orange or more orange than red.

My shop has agreed to do a free partial respray (exterior, engine compartment, bonnet compartment, roll cage and seat backs. Since I paid a modest sum for the total respray, I will see how this goes.

As of last Saturday, the stalling issue had not been solved. I will be visiting tomorrow to chek on progress.
Attached Images  
Old 08-24-2007, 12:43 PM
allill
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris,

Do you have photos of your gulf orange car out in the sun?
Old 08-24-2007, 12:56 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris - Didn't you wind up installing Ninemeister heads? Were you able to find a tuner in Hong Kong to reprogram the ECU? Really looking forward to seeing pics of the complete car
Old 08-24-2007, 01:05 PM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmmm!!!!!. I know Porsche owners in the UK with signal orange 2.8 RSR, Gulf orange 2.7 RS, Blut orange 993GT2 and a few 997 GT3RS....having seen them all.....my favourite is easily...Gulf Orange....sorry I was no help at all!

Is it really that bad?
Old 08-24-2007, 01:37 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,041 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Before I read your post I saw the palate and was immediately drawn to the sample on the far left. Stunning choice.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:51 PM
MDamen
Pro

I prefer the darker Blutorange. I also own a 911 in that color. Always liked it much better than the signal orange.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:51 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 257 Posts

Yup, Blutorange is the one. Post pics when it's done.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:28 AM
TargaTango
Racer

Originally Posted by allill
Chris,

Do you have photos of your gulf orange car out in the sun?
Jeff, Here is a shot in the sun. The pinkish redish tinge in the paint is not all that apparent in this photo. It is more apparent in the next overcast shot.
Attached Images   

Last edited by TargaTango; 08-25-2007 at 01:31 AM. Reason: I tried to uploaded 2 pictures together instead of separately.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:57 AM
TargaTango
Racer

Originally Posted by David in LA
Chris - Didn't you wind up installing Ninemeister heads? Were you able to find a tuner in Hong Kong to reprogram the ECU? Really looking forward to seeing pics of the complete car
David, Yes I do have the 9M +3 kit which includes cylinder heads, valve/spring/retainer set, sport camshafts, intake stubs & 100 cell cats. The car is running a 9M chip modelled on a car with the same engine specs as mine. This is for temporary use pending a live remap. Before I look to doing the live remap I have to sort out my stalling issues Off to see my mechanic in an hour.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:01 AM
TargaTango
Racer

Originally Posted by clubsport1
Hmmm!!!!!. I know Porsche owners in the UK with signal orange 2.8 RSR, Gulf orange 2.7 RS, Blut orange 993GT2 and a few 997 GT3RS....having seen them all.....my favourite is easily...Gulf Orange....sorry I was no help at all!

Is it really that bad?
Colour is so subjective and even our own preferences change over time. Is there a bad colour? I could live with Gulf Orange no doubt, but The Beast is not any old car which will come or go. It is something very special to me. I want to have a smile every time I lay my eyes on it and Gulf Orange is not doing it for me. For me it is one of those colours I find interesting but am not passionate about. Appreciate your opinion though.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:03 AM
TargaTango
Racer

Louis, Mike & Matt, appreciate your opinion. I am off to my shop let them know.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:10 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well, your car looks fantastic in those pics. I really like the unique colors. Your orange/black looks great IMO...
Old 08-25-2007, 05:55 AM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If only the exterior is painted, would it not reduce the value of your car - even if the history is documented?

Harry
Old 08-25-2007, 09:22 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

If the color stands out like the second picture, I agree with you and would also get rid of the pastel orange. Overall you did a very nice job and the car looks fantastic but are you sure about the carrera script?? First it seems high and second, not sure it fits very well with the RSCS theme.

Sorry just my humble opinion.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:23 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RS man
If only the exterior is painted, would it not reduce the value of your car - even if the history is documented?

Harry
Dats what I was thinkin'...at what point to you have to strip it down and start over? Or, is there any downside to "too much" paint? Would that affect the contours of the car? You gotta add more primer, too, I'd imagine...

We need a "body guru" version of Steve W. here right quick!

Quick Reply: Oranges Aint Oranges