OBD2 Port Not Functioning

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 12:44 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OBD2 Port Not Functioning

Hey guys,

After seeing DHicks's emission post (congrats btw), it just reminded me my date is coming up. The OBD2 on my car does not appear to be functioning. When I brought my car in for NYS inspection last year, the shop was not able to connect the computer via OBD2 and said the port does not work. I was still able to get it passed , but that's another story. Should I go to my Indy or is the OBD2 somehow "warrantied"??

Or perhaps this is a blessing in disguise??
Old 08-22-2007, 02:41 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the readiness codes are not reset, your car will not be able to communicate with the emission station' computer. When this happened to me last week, at least they were able to tell me which codes were not reset, so there must have been some communication. You should get one of those cheap code readers and see for yourself and then follow the dreaded reset procedure.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:52 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rick Lee
If the readiness codes are not reset, your car will not be able to communicate with the emission station' computer. When this happened to me last week, at least they were able to tell me which codes were not reset, so there must have been some communication. You should get one of those cheap code readers and see for yourself and then follow the dreaded reset procedure.
I was under the impression that the OBD2 sensor was not working at all meaning no communication and hence no codes, but I could be wrong. I never asked if any codes came up, it just seemed like there was no link made. I will have my bud plug in his OBD2 reader to see if there is any communicado. If there is none at all, is this an easy fix?

Thanks.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:39 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Arrwin
Hey guys,

After seeing DHicks's emission post (congrats btw), it just reminded me my date is coming up. The OBD2 on my car does not appear to be functioning. When I brought my car in for NYS inspection last year, the shop was not able to connect the computer via OBD2 and said the port does not work. I was still able to get it passed , but that's another story. Should I go to my Indy or is the OBD2 somehow "warrantied"??

Or perhaps this is a blessing in disguise??
Be aware the OBDII system works a little differently on the 993 than most other cars. Most cars will communicate when the key is just turned on (not running) and the shop can read it then. On the 993 the car has to be running for it to communicate with the external reader.

I think there is more to it than that but I believe that's the basics. There is an older post that describes it in detail if you wish to search for it.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:52 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Be aware the OBDII system works a little differently on the 993 than most other cars. Most cars will communicate when the key is just turned on (not running) and the shop can read it then. On the 993 the car has to be running for it to communicate with the external reader.

I think there is more to it than that but I believe that's the basics. There is an older post that describes it in detail if you wish to search for it.
Thanks Bill. I don't believe the car was running when we tried so perhaps that can be it. I will search for the older post.

Thanks again.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:55 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine will work not running, but you must disable the immoblizer. Press the button on your remove before you move the key into the On position.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:16 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Plumley
Mine will work not running, but you must disable the immoblizer. Press the button on your remove before you move the key into the On position.
Ah yes, that's what I get for relying on my memory.
I've found it's just easier to start the car when I have mine emissions checked though.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:56 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Arrwin,
The immobilizer must be OFF for the OBD-ii to successfully talk to the scanner/emissions test equipment. That means, of course, if the car has been sitting for a while (engine off) then the guyz need to 'blip' the FOB so that the immobilizer light goes OFF -- and THEN connect their scanner gear.
OUR cars use the ISO-9141-2 protocol -- which is a bit esoteric (being predominantly European) -- and most 'mundane' scanners have problems 'communicating'. (Most American cars use the JWMxxx protocol) which is 'easy'.
If I meet u on Sunday - for the Sunday run -- I'll bring my code-scanner with me and we can do an OBD-ii looksee. Having done this OBD-ii fandango (on my own car(s)) more times than I've had hot dinners -- :-) -- I'll have an answer for you in a jiffy.
As a matter of fact, if any o' y'all want your 'readiness stuff checked' or if you wanna find out if there are any (hidden!) 'PENDING' codes stored (that could soon manifest themselves as REAL CELs) then I've no problem - that day - schlepping myself and my code scanner around other cars too.
I'll be easy to spot -- I'll be the one with the Iris Blue 993, cheesy grin and funny Irish accent.
:-)
Gerry
Old 08-23-2007, 01:10 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the gratitious offer! Can you print an inspection sticker too?!

Originally Posted by g_murray
Arrwin,
The immobilizer must be OFF for the OBD-ii to successfully talk to the scanner/emissions test equipment. That means, of course, if the car has been sitting for a while (engine off) then the guyz need to 'blip' the FOB so that the immobilizer light goes OFF -- and THEN connect their scanner gear.
OUR cars use the ISO-9141-2 protocol -- which is a bit esoteric (being predominantly European) -- and most 'mundane' scanners have problems 'communicating'. (Most American cars use the JWMxxx protocol) which is 'easy'.
If I meet u on Sunday - for the Sunday run -- I'll bring my code-scanner with me and we can do an OBD-ii looksee. Having done this OBD-ii fandango (on my own car(s)) more times than I've had hot dinners -- :-) -- I'll have an answer for you in a jiffy.
As a matter of fact, if any o' y'all want your 'readiness stuff checked' or if you wanna find out if there are any (hidden!) 'PENDING' codes stored (that could soon manifest themselves as REAL CELs) then I've no problem - that day - schlepping myself and my code scanner around other cars too.
I'll be easy to spot -- I'll be the one with the Iris Blue 993, cheesy grin and funny Irish accent.
:-)
Gerry

Quick Reply: OBD2 Port Not Functioning