Sponsored by:

Lifter(?) clatter on start up??

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 02:32 AM
gr8nine93
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifter(?) clatter on start up??

SHortly after I bought the car it would make a rattling noise for about ONE SECOND on start up. It was a deeper pitched sound than the tick of a sticky lifter. More hollow sounding so I was thinking it was a lifter that was not pumping up. NOw a few months later the sound is louder as if several lifters are not holding pressure when car has sat. Anyone had this experience. WHat to do?
Unfortunately I can't bring it to a tech cause it is only occasional symptom. A friend who restores older Pcars did not think it was a big deal however since it has gotten louder I figure it will only get worse.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:36 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

This is what you think it is (lifter clatter) and quite common. No problem as long as the clatter quickly goes away upon start-up. Just may be something you may wish to pursue replacement of the next time the car is 'down' for other work.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:09 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I don't think running with clattering lifters is sensible. The standard problem with them is that the 'O' ring seal breaks down and therefore fails to retain oil pressure. Usually, if one has failed the others are on their way too.

As far as I am aware the O rings are not available - other Rennlisters may know where they can be obtained? The solution is therefore new lifters - they can be replaced without engine out but it is fiddly to do.

Had mine done and after about 2000 miles one can be 'sticky' if the car is left for a month or two but soon clears after a minutes running.

PJC
Old 08-14-2007, 09:22 AM
Fred, Long Island
Racer

Chain Tensioner..needs a second to achieve pressure.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:44 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A failed lifter sounds more higher pitch metallic tapping noise. Typically failure starts with cold start up and the duration keeps on getting longer until they completely fail. And then it will make the constant noise, but the noise will goes away when you are driving at highway speeds.

Typically it is only few of them that fails, replacing them will take care of the noise.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:50 AM
901aero
Burning Brakes

Do a search on motor oil choice. Something tells me I read about this and some thought they were cured by switching to a different oil.

Mobil one since new on my '95 not had this problem (only 44,000 miles though)

Quick Reply: Lifter(?) clatter on start up??