Sponsored by:

Yikes - did I cook my 3.8?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 08:11 PM
jcontardi
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Yikes - did I cook my 3.8?

I know something about the mechanicals of these cars, but I need some advice on this one...
I ran at the Texas Motor Speedway roval last night under the lights and up on the high bank - awesome experience. Despite very high temps in Texas last night 90F+ (air)/ 120F+ (track), the car ran strong all night. After my last run, I packed up my stuff and headed home. As I drove home, the 'check engine' light came on - I did not think much about it, as I figured it was an O2 sensor fault or something (this is an OBD I car). This afternoon I started the car - the check engine light is still on, but now there is a plume of smoke. The smoke is white-ish, is coming from both exhaust banks, and smells like raw gasoline. I shut down and waited for the engine to cool. I started it again with the same result. Oil level is fine and still golden in color on the stick. Any ideas on where to start the diagnosis on this one?

Many thanks!
Old 08-12-2007, 08:15 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Get an OBD reader and see what cel code is. Then work from there.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:29 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

How many miles is on the current oxysensor?

How many miles on plugs, caps/rotors, wires?
Old 08-12-2007, 09:11 PM
jcontardi
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

o2 and plugs, caps/rotors, and wires are all old - you think that is the culprit?
Old 08-12-2007, 10:12 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Precisely how old????........

Inquiring minds need to know,..............
Old 08-12-2007, 10:26 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Older than Steve?
Old 08-13-2007, 03:33 AM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Older than Steve?
Good God,..if they prove to me older than me, you are likely in serious trouble,...

When I was a lad, I had a pet Stegosaurus 'cause I wanted something smarter than myself.........
Old 08-13-2007, 04:23 AM
Peter R.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jcontardi
I know something about the mechanicals of these cars, but I need some advice on this one...
I ran at the Texas Motor Speedway roval last night under the lights and up on the high bank - awesome experience. Despite very high temps in Texas last night 90F+ (air)/ 120F+ (track), the car ran strong all night. After my last run, I packed up my stuff and headed home. As I drove home, the 'check engine' light came on - I did not think much about it, as I figured it was an O2 sensor fault or something (this is an OBD I car). This afternoon I started the car - the check engine light is still on, but now there is a plume of smoke. The smoke is white-ish, is coming from both exhaust banks, and smells like raw gasoline. I shut down and waited for the engine to cool. I started it again with the same result. Oil level is fine and still golden in color on the stick. Any ideas on where to start the diagnosis on this one?

Many thanks!
Yep, sounds like my dead O2 sensor. The raw gasoline smell is a dead giveaway. The sensor keeps sending 'high O2' to the ecu and the ECU keeps pouring fuel in the engine.

About 100 USD from Bosch with the right connector, 1 hour job if your lucky. Make sure the engine hase cooled off and you spray liberal amounts of WD40 or rost flash on the thing and let it soak for a while.

Good luck,

Peter R.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:41 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And when you install that O2 sensor, use plenty of anti-seize (just don't get any on the sensor).
Old 08-13-2007, 05:28 AM
Peter R.
Pro

My new Bosch had antiseize preinstalled ! But an important tip nevertheless

Peter R.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:34 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter R.
My new Bosch had antiseize preinstalled !
They think of everything these days!
Old 08-13-2007, 10:06 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jcontardi

Many thanks!
Ahhh, so you are the one that bought Hanks car..... I saw it at Todd's at the CR, very nice. Congrats.

George (with the black 993 one garage over)

Quick Reply: Yikes - did I cook my 3.8?