Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 10:35 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 255 Posts
Default OT: For u pilots..

My neighbor is building one of these. Talk about bling and mods...lol

www.dreamworksrc.com/Video/Euro160.wmv

Last edited by TRINITONY; 08-12-2007 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:28 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In other news, yesterday we had the 3rd plane crash within 4 blocks of my house in 5 years. Last one south; this one north. The SOBs are zeroing in on me!

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...ck=6&cset=true

I'm really starting to question the net benefits of General Aviation and wondering out loud how airstrips in urban areas are legal.

Benefit: one man's hobby and pleasure.
Cost: pilot and everyone he flies over are at risk with every flight.

Fire up the flame thowers, but your perspective will change greatly once they start raining out of the sky around you. It's like the G-D Battle of Britain around here!
Old 08-12-2007, 11:31 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdude68
In other news, yesterday we had the 3rd plane crash within 4 blocks of my house in 5 years. Last one south; this one north. The SOBs are zeroing in on me!

Time to move...

I think LA times doesn't have the rennlist spirit. They won't let you read until you register.

"Please Register or Log In
The story you requested is available only to registered members"
Old 08-12-2007, 01:11 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm really starting to question the net benefits of General Aviation and wondering out loud how airstrips in urban areas are legal.
It is good that you are starting to question." It is clear that your answers are suppositions, based upon little actual knowledge. A very good movie is "One Six Right." It is about the Van Nuys airport, and does a pretty good job of explaining the many benefits of GA. There are also some stunning shots of some really cool airplanes.
Do a little research before you make the statement: "one man's hobby." Then you can come to an INFORMED decision. There really is a whole lot more going on at your local airport than that.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:13 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
It is good that you are starting to question." It is clear that your answers are suppositions, based upon little actual knowledge. A very good movie is "One Six Right." It is about the Van Nuys airport, and does a pretty good job of explaining the many benefits of GA. There are also some stunning shots of some really cool airplanes.
Do a little research before you make the statement: "one man's hobby." Then you can come to an INFORMED decision. There really is a whole lot more going on at your local airport than that.
Thanks. I don't tolerate ignorance either. Putting my money where my mouth is, I just added On Six Right to the top of my Netflix queue. Skeptical as hell, but anxious to learn. I'll get back to you.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:43 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Benefit: one man's hobby and pleasure.
Cost: pilot and everyone he flies over are at risk with every flight.

Fire up the flame thowers, but your perspective will change greatly once they start raining out of the sky around you. It's like the G-D Battle of Britain around here!
Man are you one paranoid dude, reminds me of the chicken little sky is falling BS. Show a little spine, learn about general avation and then respond from a non-ignorant position.

I'm really starting to question the net benefits of cars that can exceed 150mph and wondering out loud how Porsches can be legal to drive on the freeway with normal folks.

Benefit: one man's hobby and pleasure and self image.
Cost: driver and everyone he drives near are at risk every time he exceeds 100mph.

ZP44..........porsche driver & GA pilot
Old 08-12-2007, 04:26 PM
Bill (NC)
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The airstrips were there long before the "urban areas" in most cases.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:48 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Not sure how my "spine" will prevent a plane from landing on my house.

I'm no Mr. T. I've got nothing against planes per se. I was truly thrilled seeing 2 different B-17s land and take off from the same airport. But I'd be willing to give that up in a minute if I didn't have to cringe every time a geezer in a 30+ year old single engine doctor killer comes sputtering in overhead for a landing.

I knew someone would draw a paralell to P-cars, but I've blown an engine before ('73 Olds) and pulled safely to the shoulder, not landing on anyone's house...
Old 08-13-2007, 02:35 AM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...I knew someone would draw a paralell to P-cars, but I've blown an engine before ('73 Olds) and pulled safely to the shoulder, not landing on anyone's house...
Planes don't stop flying just because the motor quits. Contingency planning is one of the most important things you do as a pilot, and like anything else, some are better at it than others. Plane crashes make headlines, car crashes usually don't. I would be willing to bet you that a lot more cars go through buildings every year than airplanes, but unless it happens locally, you won't hear about it. While aviation may be less forgiving of careless mistakes or mechanical failures than driving, statistically, flying is still a safer form of transportation than driving, on a per mile basis. (Yes, even general aviation too)
Old 08-13-2007, 01:24 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure how my "spine" will prevent a plane from landing on my house.

I'm no Mr. T. I've got nothing against planes per se. I was truly thrilled seeing 2 different B-17s land and take off from the same airport. But I'd be willing to give that up in a minute if I didn't have to cringe every time a geezer in a 30+ year old single engine doctor killer comes sputtering in overhead for a landing.

I knew someone would draw a paralell to P-cars, but I've blown an engine before ('73 Olds) and pulled safely to the shoulder, not landing on anyone's house...
You are so correct in saying "showing a bit of backbone will not stop a plane from crashing into your house" but it might spare us from hearing your whiney Chicken Little BS.

And my reference to 150mph+ cars was about crashing into someone else on the road while exceeding the speed limit, not blowing a motor and pulling to a stop.

I promise you that 10's of thousands more people per year die in automobile accidents on our nations highways & streets than everyone ever killed in a GA aircraft accidents since general aviation's boom in the early 50's.

If you don't believe me go to the NTSB website and do some research, the data is there to support my statement.

If I was you, I'd be more worried about the drunk driver than a Cessna, you interact with them (DUI'S) on a much more frequent basis

ZP44

Last edited by ZombiePorsche44; 08-13-2007 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:00 PM
Todd P
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Bill. The airport was probably there first. It's the same with every USAF base in country. We spend more time trying to keep the neighbors happy about the noise when we have been there for like the last 60 years.

GA is really safe relative to a lot of other crazy things people do. It's just the media sensationaling it.

Jet noise...the sound of freedom
Old 08-13-2007, 07:47 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 926 Likes on 560 Posts

That guy is welcome to fly like that over my house and buzz the tower any time he wants.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:42 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 255 Posts

That plane in the video cost between 12-15k...
Old 08-13-2007, 10:19 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
That plane in the video cost between 12-15k...
$12 - $15k for an RC Jet ? It never ceases to amaze me how people choose to spend their money, but I guess others might say the same about my choice to spend $$ on motorcycles or the P-car.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:50 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

All,
While your points are well made and valid, as someone who makes a living at, and whose future depends upon General Aviation, it is important to educate the people who don't really understand what it is we do. Becoming defensive only drives them farther to their positions of atavism.
I highly recommend the movie I mentioned above to all, pilots and especially non-pilots. It is a great documentary about the Van Nuys airport. It is filmed in fantastic HD, with air-to-air shots of P-51, DC-3, Super Cub,and many more really cool airplanes. It explains the role of a GA airport to a community. BTW, did you know that Van Nuys airport is the largest employer in the San Fernando Valley? Lots of fun facts like that. Anyone near Tampa that would like to borrow it, send me a PM.

Quick Reply: OT: For u pilots..