Sponsored by:

Question about the "hanging clutch pedal"

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 06:09 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Question about the "hanging clutch pedal"

I've read posts about the clutch pedal "hanging" and just wanted to know if what I'm experiencing with my car is the same issue.

The pedal does not necessarily stick to the point where it won't fully extend to the limit or top after being released nor is there any issue returning to that position.

What I am experiencing is a sort of "binding" when I push the clutch pedal.

A fellow RLer did the clutch "lever update" or whatever the specific thing is called and said things are smooth now but I never drove his car to see what the "before" problem was.

Bottom line is I want to know if doing the lever update is the solution or if this could possibly be some clutch cable related issue?
Old 08-10-2007, 07:38 PM
Sumtoc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think there is a cable involved, our cars have a hydraulic clutch system. There is a master cylinder that operates at the pedal and the slave cylinder that transfers energy to the clutch.

I have had both the hanging pedal problem and the symptom you describe. The hanging pedal problem really only applies to the return/release of the pedal. If you are having problems on the way down, stiffness, inconsistent pressure required, etc. you likely have other problems. These could include worn master, slave and/or worn out clutch.

I replaced all 3 (with the LWF) and now have a very smooth clutch pedal. Very noticeable improvement. I still had the hanging pedal problem and fixed that later with the new lever on the pedal cluster.

Doesn't mean that you don't have the hanging pedal problem but that wouldn't be the priority if you have the other problems.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:47 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys. I suspect that I'm running the original clutch at 80,000 (I was the 2nd owner at 50,000 and didn't get all the maint. records) so its probably just a combination of a nearly worn-out clutch and or slave/MC related issues rearing their heads.

The car generally only gets some weekend use for zipping around town and the clutch pedal issue is only a minor nuisance. I'll probably sit tight until the clutch stops grabbing as it should, then will have my mechanic go to town on it.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:12 AM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 95 has the same issue where it sticks almost all the way at the top. Does not affect the clutch operation so far but its very annoying.

Tried to clean it up with the p-car DIY but it didn't work too well.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:53 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

it could also very well be your clutch slave cylinder. At 80K I would not be surprised. The hanging pedal is also a classic symptom of the slave cylinder needing replacement.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:46 AM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

So is it true that the 96+ model years do not require the lever update? If so it seems a slave replacement is fairly easy. Is there a slave and MC or just the slave? I only saw one mechanism there when Coleman did his update work to his 95.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:56 AM
sigf
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Try a little lubrication to loosen things up, it worked for me... Nothing needed replacing...

Quick Reply: Question about the "hanging clutch pedal"