Sponsored by:

Steering rack: Porsche rebuilt or ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 08:04 PM
rick993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering rack: Porsche rebuilt or ??

I have a 95 that's needing a steering rack. Sunset sez porsche rack $550(no tax) + shipping 2 ways(core) takes 6 weeks w/ 2 yr warrenty. Autozone sez ATSCO rack $600+tax(~$50) and 2 days w/ lifetime warrenty.
Anyone have any dealings with ATSCO steering racks? or is there another steering rack rebuilder that is rennlist member recommended.
Also stock rack is PP 993 347 011 00(X). What's up with PP 964 347 009 04? I get conflicting info when I did a search on it. Anyone use this rack as a replacement?

Thanks, Rick
Old 08-06-2007, 08:13 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Rick,
How about this one (go big...)?
https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...04&postcount=1
Old 08-06-2007, 08:32 PM
rick993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I saw it ! ! My wife licks to drive the car nwo and then and she'll be surprised enough when it gets the LWF
Old 08-07-2007, 08:52 PM
993polarsilver
Racer

I'm also in the market for a rebuilt steering rack. Is Sunset the best place to source this?
Old 08-07-2007, 09:11 PM
jrb964
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rick, Year ago I financed a business that rebuilt CV's, racks, injectors, pumps, etc for the automotive industry. From what I remember the gears in the rack get worn but the major cause of rebuilds leakage from the seals. Many times the seals just have to be replaced, and new rubber fittings and your rack is ready to go. Look around your local area for a shop and talk to them. And they may be able to rebuild your rack for far less than purchasing a rebuilt one from a retailer.

That's my opinion.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:08 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A very tempting option. Haven't used him yet:

--- "Raul Gonzalez Jr." <raul_gonzalezjr@yahoo.com>
wrote:

We don't hot tank them, but we solvent clean them. You part will look and feel just like new. I'm in LA. I can pick it up and have it for you with in 3-4 hours or next day depending on what time I get it. I will have to rebuild your same unit. It runs for $425 and it comes with a lifetime warranty. Call me if interested. Thanks. 323 440 0985
> >
Raul Gonzalez Jr.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:33 AM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did this about a week ago. I read the various threads here and did some shopping on my own. I ended up with Power Steering Pros, although there are at least three online "companies" that all have the same website design and CA location. Go figure

Anyway, I ordered it on a Friday at noon and received it on Monday. The packaging was very good and the rack looked brand new with excellent finish on painted and non-painted parts. It included the proper plug for the "centering hole" instead of a dab of silicone and also included new boots.

The cost was $425 with free shipping and comes with a (3) year warranty.

Good Luck and make sure you read the threads here and at P-car.com before tackling the job!

David
Old 08-08-2007, 11:59 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Griffiths, a company that has done some fairly robust AC upgrades for older Porsches, offers a steering rack as well ... no affiliation.

http://www.griffiths.com/porsche/steering/
Old 08-08-2007, 02:40 PM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

FWIW...

I dropped my Targa off this morning at my indy mechanic to have the steering rack replaced. I talked with him about it last weekend and he said they don't even bother trying to rebuild the racks themselves or source rebuilt ones. They used to use rebuilt racks, but when they were having to swap them out two and three times under warranty after only a few months on each one, they went back to factory original parts. That stopped the recurring failures problems.

He said the factory rack would be $700-800, so the cost isn't that much more, and certainly less when you factor in labor to replace multiple times if the rebuilt one doesn't last.

Perhaps that is just one shop's experience, but my mechanic has had his shop for 20 years and has worked on my car since I got it. As a personal friend, too, I trust his opinion.

Again, FWIW...

-Chris
Old 08-08-2007, 02:54 PM
fixedgame
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chris W. - '96 Targa
FWIW...

I dropped my Targa off this morning at my indy mechanic to have the steering rack replaced. I talked with him about it last weekend and he said they don't even bother trying to rebuild the racks themselves or source rebuilt ones. They used to use rebuilt racks, but when they were having to swap them out two and three times under warranty after only a few months on each one, they went back to factory original parts. That stopped the recurring failures problems.

He said the factory rack would be $700-800, so the cost isn't that much more, and certainly less when you factor in labor to replace multiple times if the rebuilt one doesn't last.

Perhaps that is just one shop's experience, but my mechanic has had his shop for 20 years and has worked on my car since I got it. As a personal friend, too, I trust his opinion.

Again, FWIW...

-Chris
+1
just replaced my rack with factory rack.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:12 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I had my rack rebuilt locally just last week; took 3 days and cost under $400 with a lifetime warranty (not including my mechanic's labor of course).

YMMV.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:28 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I too just had a rack replaced this week: I can deal with the no warranty on the labour issue ... but the evil smirk I get from my Indy every time I see his face in the mirror when shaving each morning is starting to get to me ....
Old 08-10-2007, 04:31 PM
cfdarch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default gee I got the leak 2

unfortunately AC993C2S's 964 RS/993 Manual Steering Rack is SOLD. I would like one. if anyone else has one they wist to part with or have a suggestion where to look for one I would appreciate it.

Cheers Cary
Old 08-20-2007, 09:11 PM
bwoodry
Racer

What symptoms indicate a steering rack failure.??

Mine makes a whining noise under load when turning wheel at a stop..
Tks

Bob
Old 08-20-2007, 09:17 PM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bwoodry
What symptoms indicate a steering rack failure.??

Mine makes a whining noise under load when turning wheel at a stop..
Tks

Bob
Check fluid level. Typically failing rack = leaking rack.

-Chris

Quick Reply: Steering rack: Porsche rebuilt or ??