Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got 993 back from rust repair after 9 weeks w/out it! (w/obligatory pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 10:01 AM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve,

The car looks great. Did you ever come up with a solution for the rattling shifter? I installed the 02 shifter on my '95 C4 and the rattling drove me crazy. I ended up giving it to a friend and ordered an OEM 993 shifter. Ironically, he hasn't had problems with it in his '95 C2.

I'll probably be returning to the 993 fold soon, and would love to put in the '02 shifter, but the rattling sure was annoying! Shims, rubber, electrical tape, etc, etc..all did nothing to cure the noise.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:01 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Way to go, Steve. Looks like it was worth the wait!
Old 08-02-2007, 11:29 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Great to hear your car is all fixed! She looks wonderful as always!!
Old 08-02-2007, 12:52 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve 96C4S,
Can you please elaborate on the rusty windshield frame, and what caused it. My windsheild seal / adhesive popped at the bottom between the wipers the other day. I have read where some replacements were not done properly and may lead to rust. I still have my original silga glass and would like to keep it i'm just not sure it can be removed without breaking it. I just want to find the right glass guy who know WTF he is doing so that it is done right.

Thanks,
Old 08-02-2007, 05:08 PM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

Steve - what body shop did you use? Is the owner of the body shop experienced in the way a Porsche should drive/feel? I would say at 77K it is time to bite the bullet anyway. Life is short and driving time is now!
Old 08-03-2007, 12:25 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
Steve, The car looks great. Did you ever come up with a solution for the rattling shifter? I installed the 02 shifter on my '95 C4 and the rattling drove me crazy. I ended up giving it to a friend and ordered an OEM 993 shifter. Ironically, he hasn't had problems with it in his '95 C2.
No, I never did come up with a cure for the rattler. I'm going to bring it back to ASG to have them inspect it from underneath on their lift, and if they can't resolve it I'm done with it. I'm going to return it (due to a very generous return policy and exchange it for the RS shifter which sits differently on the shifter.

As far as before rust pics, I'm afraid I never took any. Nor did I go to the shop while the work was being done. They said that if I EVER have to replace a windshield ever again, to have THEM do it instead of a glass shop. They said that many glass shops score the paint with the razor device by accident and that starts the rust years later.

993NYC - Thanks for that info on redoing the front bumper to the euro look. I guess I'll cross that bridge in 2 months when I'm ready... For now, I just want to drive it ALOT and not have it in the shop for much of anything.

porscheralph: You ask which body shop I used? Feel free to PM me for details. Happy to share that offline. The guy that drove my car is the owner of the shop and they get alot of very fine Porsches come through there. That's his specialty. That's why I was so amazed when he said "I wouldn't bother spending one penny on new shocks and a new suspension. Your car handles just fine the way it is. Save your money for now". This is starting to confuse my upgrade intentions. I think I will wait on this for a bit longer...

Marlon: It's just the original spoiler grill, but they did spiff it up I guess. Quite frankly, I was so happy to get it back I just took those pics and started driving it! I haven't even really inspected their work too closely, I'm just so sick of not having the car I don't want to find anything wrong with it.

Hope I've answered some of your questions.

Steve R
Old 08-03-2007, 10:25 AM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

Steve - here are the pictures of the car after the paint and install of the euro front and rear bumper and side skirts. Got them from Gert. Had the mirrors and a few other touch ups done at the same time.
Attached Images   
Old 08-03-2007, 10:36 AM
baron95993
Pro

looks great
Old 08-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

They did a great job on your car, Ralph. I'll have to look into that option.

Steve R
Old 08-03-2007, 08:16 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Car looks great. Polar silver is not an easy color match.

chuck
Old 08-03-2007, 09:09 PM
nycarrera
Instructor

Steve,
It was well worth the wait. The car looks great! Congrats....
Andres
NYCarrera
TZ

Quick Reply: Finally got 993 back from rust repair after 9 weeks w/out it! (w/obligatory pics)