Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

changed o2 sensor and started an oil leak somehow....

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 07:39 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found it!

In the second picture, just above the left-hand bolt at the exhaust flange you can BARELY see another nut (almost in the shadow). It seems I missed tightening this all the way (this bolts to what I thought was the heat shied). I ran my finger up around the bolt and it seems it runs into the timing case cover area. I just tightened it up and hopefully that'll stop it

Thanks for all the advice. I'll report back with my hopefully good news of a stopped leak.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:09 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great! If the leak does not stop it may be because you disturbed the sealing grommet under the bolt's washer. These grommets harden and leak over time like the valve cover gaskets. The good news it that they cost 86 cents a piece. I changed mine last winter and my cover has been bone dry since.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:21 PM
Jay993turbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What could have happened is a slow leak from the valve cover dripping onto the heat shield. It pools up there and you don't know you have a leak. Once you lift the car at a certain angle it starts to drip down onto the heat exchanger. It could also be many other things too, I would check it asap.

Jay
Old 08-02-2007, 11:21 AM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jay993turbo
What could have happened is a slow leak from the valve cover dripping onto the heat shield. It pools up there and you don't know you have a leak. Once you lift the car at a certain angle it starts to drip down onto the heat exchanger. It could also be many other things too, I would check it asap.

Jay

Well, I'm fairly certain it was what I posted about above. The bolt/nut had fresh oil dripping from it. Tightened it up, wiped up the oil, and no more leak as of this morning after sitting over night

Quick Reply: changed o2 sensor and started an oil leak somehow....