Sponsored by:

A/C question

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 12:49 PM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default A/C question

The interior fan blower in my 1995 seems to have a mind of it's own. It blows cold air, but the interior fan speed does not respond to the controls. Usually it just runs slowly but suddenly it will speed up and blow like I like it to. I have recently noticed some noises from around and under the dash that sound like a flap closing. Listening closely, it sounds like it could use some lubrication. I would describe it as having some creaking when turning.

I took off the fuse box cover (one end is cracked ) and noticed that one of the A/C relays has a broken cover. The cover is a black plastic cap that snaps into place. One of the plastic catches is broken. The cover comes off and there are bunch of copper coils inside. This one is marked 811-951-253. (There appear to be two of them.)

Do the fan symptoms and the broken cover indicate that this is a bad relay? At $40 its no big deal to replace it and I plan to do so. But should I be looking elsewhere? To do a search what terms should I search for? (I've spent hours reading search results that may or may not have anything to do with this!)

Here is the revelant information for my car:

1) Year of car (there are many differences and most are pertinent). 1995

2) Mileage. 112K

3) List any & all modifications to suspension, brakes, engine. LWF and RS Clutch, recent RS Pulley

4) Detailed description of noises/sounds where applicable. See above

5) List any recent maintenance.
Recent RS Pulley, new alternator, lower valve cover seals, oil change

Thanks everyone!

Jim
Old 07-31-2007, 01:08 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Mine was having a similar problem. I had the right fan motor replaced, and the fan resistor replaced. The fan motor was making the noise, and the resistor was causing the varying speed, the way I understand it (limited.) My air now works really well, and I'm in Tampa....
Old 07-31-2007, 01:12 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know much about A/C systems. Someone here wrote up a great troubleshooting guide, but I'll be damned if I can find it. There is an A/C Forum that might be a good place to post this question HERE
Old 07-31-2007, 01:22 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HERE IT IS . . .

Quick Reply: A/C question