Sponsored by:

The Rear Window Story

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 01:54 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 386 Likes on 224 Posts
Default The Rear Window Story

I noted the recent rear window thread and thought I would add my own story and a bit of advice in a new thread.

My car has been in the shop for over four months as a result of this issue. It's a 96 that I purchased in 98. The service records noted a rear window replacement fixed by a large Virginia/DC area dealer (HBL- which is where I bought the car). I had noticed a bit of shattered glass when I first vacuumed it and thought no more about it until.....the past April. Evidently not all the shattered glass had been vacuumed up. In fact a substantial amount had fallen behind the rear seat panel and around the panel under the rear window. Over the years this glass had worked it's way into the primary wiring harness and my car went haywire for no apparent reason. Took one of the best mechanics I know three days to find it and I'm still seeking repair parts (portions of the wiring harness). It isn't pretty and the car could have caught fire- in fact it did- but thankfully the fire only burned for a foot or so on each side.

If your rear window ever shatters (or has in the past) MAKE SURE you remove the rear panels and vacuum up ALL the glass. I was amazed to see how much was back there and am surprised it wasn't noticed and removed when first repaired.

IMO Porsche should do more than cover this repair- it's a safety issue and all 993 owners and dealerships should be notified. The dealer could have done a better job initially too- but they may not have suspected the glass could go where it did- or maybe they were in a hurry and didn't care. I'll never know....but at least anyone who reads this can avert a potential disaster.

Quick Reply: The Rear Window Story