993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying from a dealer, still get a PPI?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007 | 11:37 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Also: Join PCA - lots of cars for sale at pretty fair prices and they are generally enthusiast maintained to the n-th degree. I bought 2 911's thru Pano both sight unseen, jsut working with guys over the phone - an 84 Carrera in Vermont and a 79 SC in Rhode Island (I shoulda' kept the non-roof, lo-optioned SC). As I recall I had the seller take the 84 Carerra to an independent in Vermont and it had suspected valve problems (leakdown detected) and a touch low on the druk pressure. I used those points to negotiate a lower selling price. No PPI on the 79' and my wife and I flew to RI from VA met the seller at the airport and drove it back to VA! Get the PPi.
Old 07-27-2007 | 07:32 PM
thorsche
Track Day

+1 for the PPI.

Find a good indi in your neighborhood (mine happens to be racing Porsches, so he's a great resource). Without even having bought a car (or getting one serviced there), I walked into his shop and an hour later I walked out of there, with lots of great tips on how to rule out some cars before even setting up (and spending money on) a PPI. That was in 2000 -- and I was looking at an 86 - 89 Carrera.
Fast forward 5 years: A Porsche had not been in the cards (for various reasons) and I am now resuming my search (did get my Beemer serviced at his place now). More invalubale tips (best one: get a 993, better creature comforts than a 964) and the realization that it'd be another year before I'd have enough money to buy one. My search took me 6 months and countless test drives -- and, lo and behold, one fateful day last summer my mechanic calls me to tell me "I am looking through a 993 cab here, for an independent dealer - you should take a look." I am glad I did
Bottom line: I spent about $5K more than what I was planning on...and I still can't wipe the grin off my face. 1-year anniversary tomorrow! Money spent so far: Oil change (1), 4-wheel alignment (1), miscellaneous c&%p = $1K.

Long story short: Patience, relationships and spread the word. You never know when you'll run into "the one" - but when you do, you will know. It only took me 6 years

Quick Reply: Buying from a dealer, still get a PPI?