Sponsored by:

pre owned 993

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 09:24 AM
yellowmz3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pre owned 993

I'm in the process of purchasing a 993 C4, about 30K miles. Would you think a "leak-down" is necessary?
Rob
Old 07-23-2007, 09:34 AM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowmz3
I'm in the process of purchasing a 993 C4, about 30K miles. Would you think a "leak-down" is necessary?
Rob
I'd say it's the only lead you'll get as far as engine's health...go for it...money very well spent...
Old 07-23-2007, 09:43 AM
Obie1
Instructor

Rob......I just bought a 993 C4 last week that had 19,000k. I had my PPI performed just outside of Philly at Dougherty Automotive and discussed the issue with the owner for a while on the phone.
He said he performs the PPI in two phases.
Phase 1- complete PPI with about 5 pages worth of information regarding everything about the car EXCEPT for the leakdown.
Phase 2 - Leak down test at my discretion based on what he saw in phase 1 He said very few low mile cars would have issues and if I was purchasing a car with over 50,000k then maybe it would be in my best interest to get the leak down results. He also stated that when you work on 911s everyday you can pretty much tell which car is going to have the issue because of unusual vibrations, exhaust reading, ect...
I left everything to him. He completed phase 1 and gave my car a very good report and he recommended that I save the extra $425 that the leak down would have cost.
No flames please...I know many on this board will say that you should ALWAYS get the leak down but I chose not to based on sound advice. I would have chose to get the leak down if I had > 50-60k.
Hope this helps.
JD
Old 07-23-2007, 03:44 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pay a little now, maybe a LOT later, easy choice for me
Old 07-23-2007, 04:20 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm with JD. Assuming the car you're looking at is in excellent condition -- and at 30K it should be -- and assuming that the rest of the PPI doesn't uncover anything unusual and the car isn't using a suspicious amount of oil, I'd spend that $425 on something else, like rear tires.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:37 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

I think the amount of $$ you expend prior to purchase is directly proportional to the comfort factor you have. I bought my last 911 from a PCA member, who knew how to take care of the car. This guy was really meticulous and very clean, so I didn't feel the need to have a leak down. I did have my mechanic go through the vehicle and perform a PPI however.

I spent quite a bit of time with the guy on the phone, asking questions etc... Once I got a high degree of comfort level, which amounted to an equal confidence in the previous owner, as the car itself. Sometimes I felt like I was interviewing the PO more so than looking at the car. I have bought 3 previously owned Porsches, and having a high degree of confidence in the PO has been very successful for me.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:06 PM
infinii
Instructor

Just curious but it seems alot of the guys on here look at alot of cars in their search. So if you were looking for an extended period of time and at alot of cars, wouldn't the cost of performing this on each car (that passed the the other checks) add up quickly?
Old 07-25-2007, 01:55 AM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Default okay

I think the approach that Obie1 took makes the most sense if you have a good grasp on ownership history and past service performed on the Porsche

Good Luck
Old 07-25-2007, 10:37 AM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by infinii
Just curious but it seems alot of the guys on here look at alot of cars in their search. So if you were looking for an extended period of time and at alot of cars, wouldn't the cost of performing this on each car (that passed the the other checks) add up quickly?

I believe you get a PPI only when you have made your mind regarding a car...if you get a clean bill of health, you buy the car...if not...lucky you the PPI was done and it saved a lot of money in the future...

Quick Reply: pre owned 993