Sponsored by:

Need HELP 993 C2S

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 08:59 PM
73RSR
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need HELP 993 C2S

I have been looking to purchase a new or used car for some time now, I was actually waiting for the release of the new M3 which I thought would be a perfect sports car. But let's just say I'm a bit dissapointed with the car's looks weight and after spending sometime on the various M3 forums people that are attracted to the car.
I have always been a Porsche fan and thought maybe a used 997 is a good choice. But, 100,000 produced in two years! the depreciation seems very high not too mention where I live you see a lot of them and the drivers are not exactly the car enthusiast type.
I am so sorry this thread is becoming too long. I'm seriously considering the C2S model and some information would be very appreciated:

-What are some modifications to increase performance, both engine and suspension ?
-Will the modifications hurt the car's value?
-What is the approximate cost of the mods?
-Is it simply better to opt for the turbo instead? (I hate the whale tale)
-Besides getting the car checked and clutch issues any other trouble areas?

Again I do apologize for the length of the post and thank you in advance for your replies.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:07 PM
steve g
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I'm no expert but I do own a 993 and did stay at a Holiday Inn...

I'll take a quick shot to answer your questions.

-What are some modifications to increase performance, both engine and suspension ?
Replicate the all specifications of the 993 RS version...

-Will the modifications hurt the car's value?
no

-What is the approximate cost of the mods?
a lot of $$$$$$

-Is it simply better to opt for the turbo instead? (I hate the whale tale)
absolutely

-Besides getting the car checked and clutch issues any other trouble areas?
get a complete Pre Purchase Inspection from the best local independent shop in your area...if you tell us where youre located maybe someone will chime in.

boy oh boy ... do I miss Ray and Viken ...
Old 07-20-2007, 11:25 AM
73RSR
5th Gear

Steve g,

thanks for the reply, I live in the Ft. Lauderdale area. So instead of modifying an S2 you suggest going for the turbo instead. I was concerned with maitnance cost of the turbo, which I assume is MUCH higher than S2.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:32 AM
Bill (NC)
Racer

The only cost difference is with the care and feeding of the turbos, which with some care, is minimal.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:32 AM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

73RSR
I am not an expert either, but lurking, reading on this forum is a great learning tool.
The short answer is that it seems that you can spend 12-15K and get a lot of power for your money (Supercharger (about 100HP), LWFW, Lowered suspension) etc. Depending on how much you spend on the car itself will make the cost worthwhile or not.
A non turbo car is, from what I gather, a much easier daily driver as you do not need to worry about cooling down and so on. Maintenance is cheaper as well. If you pickup a car in the low 30's and do the mods, you are still 10-20K less than most Turbos with not a lot of performance difference. The odds of recuperating your investment is iffy as you need to find someone looking for what you did.
So...each question leads to more questions.
Good luck and let us know what you decide
Ron

Quick Reply: Need HELP 993 C2S