Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 05:44 PM
okindao
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help New electrical Issues

Here is the saga.....

1. about 4 to 5 weeks ago had standard electrical seats removed for new sparco seats to comply with new harness rerqurements. i know the installers unhooked power in that i needed to reenter my radio code

2. 2 weeks ago after I noticed the light inside the engine compartment was not working ,checked the fuses and replaced the fuse which was blown for the inhterior lights. All seemed fine

3. today aftere being out of town for 8 days went to start the car and it is totally dead.

4. now for the weird part. i put it on to a trickle charger and noticed that there is a clicking which seems to eminate from the passenger side area that clicks and clicks unless i turn the turn signal to the left or right position.

Does this make any sense, of course I have a de this coming weekend and am really bummed out ,any hints would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance, car is now on the trickle charger with the turn signal on, it almost seems like something was left on which drained the battery and stays on unless the turn signal is in the left or right positon. And no i swear i have not been drinking...........

Advice is needed asap

THANKS !!!!!
Old 07-15-2007, 07:56 PM
okindao
Addict
Rennlist Member

update : I removed the fuse which i had replaced which now eliminated the clicking sound when it is being trickle charged, not sure why but i figured that the fuse whgich had blown was an indication of the eletrical problem..........

any advice from this esteemd group ?? thjanks again

Dennis
Old 07-15-2007, 09:21 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Hmm,
I used the key to lock my car the other day and when I unlocked it and started the car, I heard a similar clicking on the passenger side. Sounded very turn-signal-ish as well. The sound went away after about 30 seconds.

I have an early-build '95 with an Ungo keyless entry setup (no alarm).

Andreas
Old 07-15-2007, 09:40 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How old is the battery? Is it hot in your neck of the woods lately? Heat will take it's toll on a weak/old batteri. A weak system will cause certain relays to 'chatter' because the system has insufficient voltage to keep them open or closed at any particular time in the operating cylcle. You could take it in for a charging system diagnostic and they will let you know in 2 sec flat. Could be a weak alternator too.

I lost my alternator while driving in my 135K mile 99 Range Rover recently. When the tow truck came he put his charger system on it and all we heard were various relays clicking and chattering, but nothing would work. 6 hours later + new alternator and wa-la!

Here's an even better part of the story: Why did the alternator fail??? Because I disregarded that my passenger side window wash jet was inop for about 6 months. The hose had broken off and was spraying RIGHT onto the alternator every time I used it:^(

(My wife keeps her 99 Range Rover in much better repair than my junk hauler)
Old 07-15-2007, 10:39 PM
okindao
Addict
Rennlist Member

has been warm recently, battery is about 2 years old.......but it seems to me that there is a connection with the seat swap, will see in the am if the trcikle charge does enough to get it started , will keep all posted ..thanks

Dennis
Old 07-15-2007, 11:35 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by okindao
4. now for the weird part. i put it on to a trickle charger and noticed that there is a clicking which seems to eminate from the passenger side area that clicks and clicks unless i turn the turn signal to the left or right position.
Is the clicking sound originating from under the passenger seat?
Old 07-16-2007, 08:27 AM
okindao
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default ysa the clicking sound seems to be originating from under the passenger seat

yes it seems to befrom under the passenger seat, until i removed the fuse fo the interior lights

Dennis
Old 07-16-2007, 02:46 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by okindao
yes it seems to befrom under the passenger seat, until i removed the fuse fo the interior lights
Okay, so the clicking should be coming from the alarm control unit. When the battery voltage level gets really low (like Marlon suggested) the relay on the control unit starts clicking. Once the battery is up to charge it should stop.

Quick Reply: Help New electrical Issues